Who is/was the most influential Canadian in American culture?

Alex Trebek.

Agreed, there’s a big difference betwen a entertainer and a politician.

Neil Young FTW !

Pam Anderson

I’ll take “Influential Canadians” for $500, Alex.

Okay, perhaps not the most influential, but not well known and worth mentioning: Reuben Ship.

See the wiki for more detail about it.

It was said that Eisenhower himself was impressed (amused?) by this radio play, and insisted that his staff all listen to a recording of it. (It was widely circulated in the United States only in bootleg form.)

I’ll post a link to the play itself soon, if I can find it again. It’s about an hour long.

ETA: Okay, I see somebody already got Alex for $500.

“The Investigator” by Canadian playwright Reuben Ship, May 1954 (run-time: About 60 minutes.)

http://www.authentichistory.com/1946-1960/4-cwhomefront/1-reactionism/

This page has a general historical overview of the Second Red Scare of the 1950’s, including discussion of Senator Joe McCarthy and his investigations. At very nearly the bottom of the page, see image showing the recording with a link to the actual record you can listen to.

Entertaining and worth a listen. Was said to have been influential in raising the general level of public ridicule against McCarthy.

ETA: American history buffs, this whole www.authentichistory.com web site should be on your must-read list!

Shhh - don’t tell him anything. Our chief weapon is surprise.

Were you maybe thinking of someone else? Abe Vigoda is American (and still alive).

Alexander Graham Bell

He was Scottish.

There’s that guy comes from the country ending in a? Oh, I know…

Barack Obama.

It would make little sense to say he’s blessed with immortality but not youth were I under the impression he was dead.

But I thought for certain he was Canadian.

If that’s the case, it’s not by birth. :smack: I have now earned my namesake. I think.

Well, there wouldn’t have been pro hockey without Canada, staving off boredom when the NBA’s on strike and March Madness is a long way off. And you had that guy who recorded "The Dreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald, America’s favorite party tune.

Aside from that, not so much.

Yes, but he emigrated to Canada when he was young so I figured he counted.

If we’re only going for native-born Canadians, I’ll pick Frederick Banting.

So how did Frederick Banting influence American culture? I would agree that he left a very great legacy for the whole world, but he didn’t affect American culture as far as I can tell.

Louis B Mayer

My vote.

Wasn’t that the point you were making in the OP? You were arguing that the people arguing the issue had too narrow a definition of culture because they were ignoring sports.

What’s your definition of culture? What’s inside of it and what’s outside of it?

Leonard Cohen influenced countless singers and songwriters, so I’ll go with Farley Mowat.

If you had a huge poster-board with pics of all the aforesaid Canadians and asked random people to ID them, I’m pretty sure William Shatner would win by a mile.

Is he influential as anything other than a pop culture actor? Who knows, but consciousness of who he is and the role he played is far more widespread than almost anyone else.

By that standard, you would have to put Jim Carrey, Mike Myers and Michael J. Fox on the poster-board too. Maybe Captain Kirk would still win.

Influence on culture is a tricky standard. Peter Jennings read the news every weeknight. Is that influential? Cohen and Young and even Lightfoot influenced other musicians but was their impact on American culture influential?

The OP does not define “influential”. If taken strictly there’s probably some unknown Canadian scientist that invented some extremely critical product we use everyday that beats everyone.

Assuming were are asking a standard bell curve demographic I believe he would be leagues ahead of all of them. The pervasiveness of “Star Trek” as a cultural touchstone even 40+ years after the fact is an order of magnitude more powerful than the other Canadian individual actors and persons. He would be weakest with the 20 and under crowd but I think most would still recognize him as Captain Kirk.