Who paper's the toilet seat before sitting down in a public rest room?

If the seat looks clean and dry, no need to paper - very few germs can live on a dry toilet seat for any length of time, and not many can get into your body through unbroken skin, either. (I teach sexual health to high school kids, and we always tell them that you can’t catch STD’s from a toilet seat - unless you’re having sex on the toilet seat!)

If the seat doesn’t look clean and dry, I’ll cross my legs for however long it takes to find a cleaner loo. Squatting is possible as a last resort.

I’ve always wondered who the yahoos that leave sodden paper on the toilet seat for someone else to pick up are, and now I know.

In my 26 years of public restroom usage, I have neither papered a seat, nor have I hovered. Astoundingly, I have remained assfection free.

I’m not a hypermeticulous post-relief hand washer, either. That is to say, I wash my hands with soap every time I use the can, but I don’t do the whole paper towel to turn on faucet, wash for two full minutes, clean paper towel to turn off faucet, clean paper towel to open door dealie. I just don’t think it does enough good to bother, and a certain amount of exposure to germs is not a bad thing.

I’m probably making the OCD set cringe. Ah, well.

I put paper down and make sure to flush it. But it seems to me that I wouldn’t have to do that if everyone would just sit down. The hoverers and the squatters are the ones peeing all over the seat, rendering it a hazardous waste site where my tender cheeks dare not touch. It’s disgusting! Why do people think that peeing directly on to the seat makes them more hygienic? I’m sorry, but when I have to wipe someone else’s pee up before I can use the toilet, it really angers me. Yesterday, someone must have been levitating, because it was all over the floor as well! YUUUUCK!

Same here. I used to work in a factory where the toilets were in great need of, well, burning. Would use half a roll of TP (they didn’t have the gaskets). The office I’m in now keep their bathrooms squeaky clean & so I merely give the seat a little wipe & go about my business. I’m actually more conscious of door knobs & handles than I am of toilet seats. I suppose if I ever run across a potty that needs a barrier between itself and me, I’ll just pass it by & go somewhere else.

So THAT’S how that happens!! I’m so dense. Here I’ve been wondering, “How the hell do people manage to shit and piss all over the toilet seat and the floor!!??” Now I know.

Please, folks. If the seat looks clean, no more squatting. Please.

Well, if you wipe it down with paper, you are getting the stuff on the paper & then on your
hands, if you rotate the paper around in your hands. Which kinda defeats the purpose, eh?

Well, I’m not really certain what you mean about rotating the paper and all, but I think going to the bathroom ON the toilet rather that IN it also defeats the purpose. Blech.

No. If there is pee on the seat I will wipe it, if there is crap on it I don’t use it.

:mad: Yes … yes you are.

Did you know that the bathroom doorknob/handle has more germs than the inside of the toilet? (I have no cite … I was taught that by my ninth-grade biology teacher during a lab experiment.) So yeah, I also use a paper towel to open the door, although it is generally the same paper towel I use to dry my hands with.

-Dirty

INDEED. On the toilet seat, all over the floor etc. Jerks.
[sub]oooh, I wish this thread was in The Pit[/sub]

While I was in the Navy, a friend of mine was distraught over the fact that he somehow contracted the “crabs”. He didn’t understand it because he claimed he was VERY clean. I had asked him if he puts toilet paper down on the seat before going and he just dismissed it saying, “that doesn’t do anything”.

Of course, I couldn’t resist the obvious and say, “Well, you’ve got crabs and I don’t”.

Paper away!!!

I always thought papering the seat was a plot device in the movie so Deranged Evil Copycat Murderer® would have time to get in there and lasso Sigourney Weaver when she sat down.

Like Gundy, I usually just sit on the seat if it appears clean. If there is no alternative, I am able to hover and do the job quite neatly thank you without a stray drip anywhere but where I want it. If I leave a mess behind it’s simply because I hate you and
maybe just a little passive-aggressive.

Now handwashing is another matter. I always wash after going to the bathroom at home or work or public places. Always, with soap and lots of friction.

Mermaid–ass infection free for more than fourty years and counting.

Yep. So? I wash my hands fairly frequently outside of the bathroom as well, so as long as I don’t lick my fingers on the way out of the bathroom, no biggie.

Am I saying you shouldn’t use a paper towel to open the door? Hell, I don’t care. You can open the door with laminated ass cheeks if you want. Just don’t leave a pulpy urine-soaked t.p. mess on the crapper for someone else to clean up.

laminated ass cheeks?

bwa hahahahahah

After papering, I put a lump of paper in the water also so as to absorb the turd to prevent the splash-back.

Nothing worse than that!