Who Remembers The Red Army Faction? (Baader- Meinhof Gang)

Having been born in Germany in 1968, the kidnapping of Peter Lorenz is the earliest political event I can remember having followed in the news. And even as a nine year old in 1977, I had an awareness of the strangely distressed mood in the country, the so-called “leaden times” of the German Autumn. A couple from my tiny podunk town were passengers in the Landshut.

Back to life!!!

Daniela Klette: Alleged Red Army Faction member held after 30 years

" Ms Klette is renowned for allegedly being part of the far-left armed group which terrorised Germany for decades.

She is accused of attempted murder and a string of serious robberies.

The second person to be arrested, a man who appears to be in the same age range as Ms Klette’s robbery accomplices, was carrying fake identification. Police have not yet determined his identity."

Sure, I know about their existence and sort of their main M.O. and thrust of their “arguments.”

Beyond that, no, not much. And, being a yanqui, I can’t say they really affected me too much personally.

Maybe it’s possible some simulacrum of them or a similar group inspired some elements of the movie Black Sunday with Robert Shaw, Marthe Keller, and Bruce Dern, but I’m not prepared to commit to that at all…just an idea popped into head right now.

I was stationed in Germany a few years after the Rhein-Main bombing. The RAF used one of their female members to pick up a young soldier in a bar and they murdered him. They used his ID to gain access to the Air Force base. The bar they got the soldier from was one of my hangouts.

Ah, nostalgia!

Horst and Ulrike would spray
Bullets at the bourgeoisie
Chairman Mao said it was all OK
Those were the daaays!

My wife was an Army brat whose family were stationed in Heidelberg in the 1980s. It would be fair to say that the BMG were a concern at the time.