Who’s your favorite anti-hero

Snake Plissken from Escape from New York and Escape from L. A.

Anti-hero, explained. (around :24)

Pancho Villa. Believe he would be considered an anti-hero on this side of the border.

I like Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair. Thackeray even specifies that the book is the “Novel Without A Hero”. Becky’s supposed to be a bad girl, who is only interested in social climbing, money, rank, and attention. But she’s also clever, talented, funny, and has a tremendous bullshit detector. She’s contrasted with Amelia Sedley, who we are supposed to admire because she’s virtuous and naive, but she is in fact boring and unimaginative.

Becky Sharp was the inspiration for the character of Scarlett O’Hara, I believe I read once.

Sawyer from Lost.

I’m not sure favorite is the right word, but compelling, certainly: Stringer Bell in The Wire.

Here he is learning how to put his drug dealing empire on a sound business footing:

j

So he too was brave, courageous, and bold? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Flashman, Blackadder, Alan Lewrie…

To identify with: Yossarian, Randal P. Mc Murphy and Rick Blaine.

To watch: Porter from Payback, Hud, TMwNN, Butch Cassidy and Sundance.

As far as definitions go, the wiki list includes some I would consider full villains.

I like that. However, I’m sure there are cases where two people can watch the same movie and root for and have deferent perceptions about the characters in the film.

Since there are differing definitions, for the purpose of this thread I’ll allow a little latitude as long as they fall within what generally defines them.

I know he is portrayed as such, especially by Disney, but he is a lawbreaker in the society in which he lives.

Randle Patrick McMurphy. From the book. The movie one is cool too, though.

30+ posts and no Boba Fett? Hurray! The cult has been deprogramed!

Moist von Lipwig
Cohen the Barbarian and the Silver Horde
Esmeralda Weatherwax
Sam Vimes

So what? Since when is a hero necessarily someone who upholds the law?

The historic Robin Hood, if there was such a man, might have been a murderous outlaw. The literary Robin Hood is certainly a good guy, robbing from the rich [booo! hiss!] and giving to the poor [yay Robin!]. He’s like the Batman of his time. Hero or anti-hero depends on your point of view.

Batman is arguably more of an anti-hero than Robin Hood. Robin genuinely cares about people and wants to help them; Batman just wants to hurt bad guys.

Serge Storms (created by Tim Dorsey) and Slippery Jim diGriz (created by Harry Harrison)

So was the French Resistance. A key part of the Robin Hood mythos is that he’s resisting an usurper, King John, in support of the true king, Richard, who is off fighting the Crusades. He’s resisting an unlawful government on behalf of the “proper” order.

You are right. I was thinking about an old popular image of Batman. I have long contended he is psychotic and that has become clear his resurgence in comic novels.