WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? Tv show

Nene227,

I think you’re referring to ‘The Big Breakfast’, which is on one of our 5 (yes, just 5 in England!) TV terrestrial channels.

This is a wacky, zany, lively wakeup show. I don’t remember your particular ‘Knobbly Nuts’ item, but then I don’t wake up that early. It sounds just right for the program, though.

There was a minor controversy recently when they sacked the female co-host. Allegedly she couldn’t pronounce 3-syllable words…

Glee - yes! The Big Breakfast! The Knobbly Nuts segment had the host telecasting from the back yard of someone’s house, with this HUGE bowl of what looked like milk in it, and floating on top were these big corn flakes and these wrinkled, walnut-looking things. I mean, this bowl was big enough to float a small raft in, and that’s just what they did. They took a contestant, put them blindfolded on the raft, gave him or her a giant spoon, and they had to paddle around the bowl, trying to find the “knobbly nuts” and thrown them out of the bowl. If I recall, the contestant could have a helper outside the bowl to kind of yell at them in what direction the knobbly nuts were located. My family and I still sing the Knobbly Nuts song from time to time, along with a little jig that we invented to go with. Sigh. I miss that ol’ game show. I’d trade Knobbly Nuts for “Millionaire” any day.

Nene227,
I’m glad you enjoyed the Big Breakfast.
I think I should mention some of our more cultural TV achievements, largely in the fields of Natural History (‘Life of Birds’) and costume drama (Charles Dickens etc.).
The most riveting footage I saw was of a killer shark (I think) bursting out of the surf practically onto a beach to catch a seal…just glad I wasn’t the cameraman!

There was show before, The $64,000 Question and a film about it, Quiz Show. Where they fed answers to the people.

A friend of mine made it to the “telephone playoff”, where they’ll choose the ten players for this week’s show. If he makes it (we’re not holding our breath), I’m going to set up the “Command Center” back here with every Ph.D student and pop culture buff I know and a connection to the Internet.

If it happens, I’ll be sure to assemble the “Straight Dope SWAT Team” in a chat room somewhere.

Dr. J

There was an article in the paper that said 8 million people were expected to call the 1-900 number. Instead 10 million have called . At $1.50 per call that’s $15 million. So far they’ve only given away $250,000. Even if someone wins $1 million the most the show will give away is $2 million. With the money from the 1-900 number and the ratings they are making a fortune. Can you say Ponzotti?

garyh

1)I should have put Ponzi not Ponzotti 2) Regis cost a contestant $64,000 by having the wrong answer. The question was “What is another name for Lucifer?”. Regis insisted the correct answer was Kathie Lee Gifford.

If you read the fine fine fine tiny print that zooms by during that 900 nbr thingy, you can see it says that of 5 million people, 11% are thought to be able to answer the three questions on the phone call.

So, 15M people x 11% = about 1.6M people who could play…ah, what odds.

Nearly everyone on this board should be able to answer the lame questions on this show.

The most annoying part is the drawn-out phoney suspense, where Philben keeps dragging things out. The guy says the right answer immediately (not particularly hard, even at the top levels), and they pretend that he needs to think about it some more.

I watched it for the first time last night.
Q> who kicked the winning whatever for the womens 99 soccer thingy…
abc(brandi Chastain)or d.

I HATE sports, and even I knew that.
gotta be rigged.Right?

Then she struck out on Juliets last name-montague or capulet?
She reasoned( as would I) that old willy wouldnt name her juliet capulet (say it out loud), and she picked montague-wrong.

regis is the biggest pain in the ass…does preperation H work on him ?

“Screw you guys…I’m goin’ home!”