Who was the biggest bitch (male or female) in Hollywood history?

I would have to vote for Steven Seagall as being a work of art and a total flake.

His movies suck too.

Tom Hanks: You must think I’m the biggest jerk in the world.

Lorne Michaels: No…that would be Steven Segal.

Let us not forget William Shatner, who seems to have been detested by all his Trek co-stars except Nimoy, and comes off as an insecure, bullying prima donna in Harlan Ellison’s memoir of the “City on the Edge of Forever” controversy.

Hello, I Must be Going, by Charlotte Chandler
Groucho, by Stefan Kanfer
Monkey Business, by Simon Louvish
My Life with Groucho, by Arthur Marx
The Secret Word Is Groucho, by Sally Presley-Rippengale & John E. Ballow
Raised Eyebrows, by Steve Stoliac

The divorce from wife Eden (who, like his first wife Ruth, he pushed into alcoholism with his constant verbal abuse), the last years when Erin Fleming took over his life, the estrangement with son Arthur and daughter Melinda, the increasing senility, paranoia, and loss of impulse control, the court case over who was to be his conservator, the allegations of physical and psychological abuse toward and from Erin. Yes, Erin managed to push him into that Carnegie Hall concert. So what was one day out of decades? His last years were a sad, sorry mess.

Tippi Hedren herself has denied that it was a coffin. She says it was a lacquered wood box, the type that collectible dolls come in, and she thought it was a beautiful gift.

She must not have been very persuasive: only Cleopatra was shot in Todd-AO.

I’m sorry to learn all that about a man I greatly admire. All of the above seems consistent with an older man having mental problems, not being a jerk. When you take what’s left, it doesn’t remotely compare to some of the other names mentioned.

Nobody’s mentioned Woody Allen either. Cheating on your wife with your adopted daughter (and then marrying and having kids with said girl) has to earn him some consideration.

It must have been an incredible shock. But by the time of the crash, they Brothers were the biggest stars on Vaudeville and had some big hits on Broadway. They made plenty from that, and Groucho in particular had gotten even richer through the stock market. I’m not sure of the exact sum, but he lost hundreds of thousands.

It seemed to work out okay. And we got the Marx Brothers movies out of it. :wink:

It would if that’s what happened. Mia wasn’t his wife, she was his GF. And the girl wasn’t his daughter, adopted or otherwise, she was Mia’s. And I’m pretty sure she was over 18 at the time.

Was cheating a shitty thing to do? Yeah. Was it quite as sordid as all that? Not really.

Nitpick: it was Nicholas Cage who did that bit. :slight_smile:

I remember one columnist at the time describing the hysteria as “trying to make a Biblical-level pervert out of a garden-variety midlife crisis.”

What, no mention of Bing Crosby? Well, YOU ALL GET THE BELT! (Whap! Whap!)

Marlon Brando is famously impossible to work with, though one wonders where being a bitch ends and being a total nutbar begins.

Linda Fiorentino, a talented actress and beautiful woman, seemingly destined for major stardom, basically sank her career by being nigh-on impossible to work with.

David Letterman was famously jerkish earlier in his career; it’s the #1 reason he didn’t get The Tonight Show. He has apparently mellowed since his heart problems.

Woody Allen’s behavior was crappy no matter what the technical relationship was with his lover’s daughter. You just don’t fuck your girlfriend’s daughter, no matter what the age.

However, Roman Polanski drugged and raped a 13 year old girl then fled the country to avoid prosecution. That rates higher on the assholemeter than having consensual sex with your lover’s daughter, IMO.

As for she-bitch, I’m going with Liz Taylor. Homewrecker, self-absorbed, materialistic, whiny, jealous, aloof…she takes the cake and devours it, too. It’s no surprise she’s all alone after all these years. Well, her and Michael Jackson anyway.

Ah, and I forgot about Charlie Chaplin, who tended to marry teenage girls (but only at the point of her father’s shotgun) . . . Learned his craft from such teachers as Mabel Normand, Ben Turpin, Mack Sennett, then dropped them like bricks and bad-mouthed them . . . Regularly reduced his costars (especiially his leading ladies) to tears on the set . . . And according to one recent bio, when a cat he was holding in a scene in Monsieur Verdoux failed to behave he had it killed and played the scene holding its corpse, to the horror of the crew.

Well, Eve, I was thinking of the abusive “star” who feuded with every co-star she had, threw costumes along the sided of highways so that Art had to collect them before shooting began and child abuser. :wink:

Well, except not.

So howcum so many of them spoke werll of her in biographies and documentaries, saying how helpful and professional she was?

Wha—huh? That’s a new one on me. Where did you hear this?

Been covered extensively here before. Mommie Dearest was fiction.

Mia Farrow and Woody Allen were never married. Nor did Mia Farrow and Woody Allen ever live together.

Sun-Yi Previn is the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and conductor Andre Previn. Not Woody Allen. And she was an adult, not a girl, when she began dating Woody.

[Verdoux]Kill one cat, and you are a fiend. Kill a thousand cats, and you are the Humane Society.[/Verdoux]

Link

As for the rest, I was just kidding.
I was talking about Davis and McCambridge, people unlikely to get along with any costar. :smiley:

I nominate Swanson, see Queen Kelly.

No question about Shatner being an ass, to the point of sabatoging his fellow actors on screen. My favorite Shatner story is from a memo in a Roddenberry bio from Bob Justman complaining about how Shatner would steal all his hairpieces.

Ellison, however, is just as much of an ass, and in this particular case couldn’t quite understand why they needed to make some changes in an unfilmable script.

Nah, more like IDRC. :slight_smile: