Who were your childhood sports heroes?

Johnny Moxon
Steve Lattimer

I remember that play like it was yesterday. Smith actually had very good hands. That drop was an abberation and I always felt kinda sorry for him that it would become part of his legacy.

I didn’t know that about Roger but it doesn’t surprise me. A good friend worked for the Staubach Group. She never had anything but the highest praise for his intellect and character. You’re right, he is a classy guy.

I had even cut out the quote from our local paper that Staubach had given to the media (IIRC it was something along the lines of “I took a bit off the ball. I should have made a better pass”). I thought it was cool.

Trautmann
Leivers
Little
Barnes
Ewing
Paul
Johnstone
Hayes
Revie
Dyson
Clarke.

The Man City FA Cup winning team of 1956, I was there :smiley:

Hardly

I can only recall two, off the top of my head.

• Joe Willie Namath
  • Roger Staubach
  • Steve Carlton

My dad knew someone who worked for the Jets organization, so I sort of adopted the team. I even had a Joe Namath action figure!

Roger Staubach is a bit of a puzzler. When I was a kid, I was a big Cowboys fan. I don’t know why exactly. Especially since I grew up in Cowboy-haters central, Philadelphia Eagles territory. Maybe it had something to do with the Cowboy’s cheerleader poster that was hanging on my wall. :slight_smile:

Steve Carlton wasn’t really a sports hero to me. I remember my grandmother telling me that Steve visited some sick kids at that hospital where she worked. That someone as famous as Lefty would take the time to do that left an impression on me. So he was sort of a regular hero.

Willie Stargell and Mario Lemieux

John Riggins
Lynn Swann
John Stallworth
Mean Joe Greene
Doug Williams
Ricky Bell
Jimmy Giles
Leroy Selmon
Darrel Green
Jerry Rice
Carson Palmer and the entire roster of the 2009 Cincinnati Bengals (I’ve never grown up, you see)

Ozzie Smith
Jerry Rice
Ronnie Lott
Michael Jordan

Ryne Sandberg
Walter Payton
Magic Johnson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Hersey Hawkins

Cardinals pitcher Bob Gibson.

As a kid, I wasn’t really into sports…

But even then ProStarstaught me who to Idolize…*

Jordan’s jets in yo’ Face… gonna put them in their place.
Wayne WILL score!
Bo’s the Man… Gonna hit a Grand Slam.*

Dominique Wilkins - The Human Highlight Film

Tony Dorsett

Jessie Tuggle

Eddie Murray, Rick Dempsey, Cal Ripken, Jr.

I grew up in Chicago in the late 70s / early 80s, so Walter Payton, obviously.

Larry Bird
Reggie Lewis
Bo Jackson
Jerry Rice

Bo Jackson might not have been a great football or baseball player, but he was mesmerizing to watch.

Growing up in central PA in the 80’s:

Michael Jack Schmidt. Made me a Phillies phan for life, which has only recently started to pay off.

Dr. J. And I wasn’t even a Sixers fan.

Todd Blackledge. Yeah, really. I even chose my uniform number (14) after his. A king of sorts at Penn State. I suppose you could add everyone on the 1982 and 1986 MNC teams, too.

Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, Bobby Hull, Keith Magnuson. Chicago Blackhawks in the 70s