Whoa, that was a long time ago!

I was hitch hiking around Japan in 1975 and I met quite a few people who were in their 50`s. Near the end of my 3 month trip, it occurred to me that WWII had ended “only” 30 years before and most of these people (at least the men) had been soldiers in the Japanese army. Just kinda seemed wierd.

No No, you’re twenty eighteen. :smiley: Doesn’t that sound better?

I was a family friend’s 40th, and as I was leaving she hugged me and said ‘y’know, I remember turning 21 so clearly. It goes by so fast!’. I was 20 at the time, and I shuddered all the way home.

…and NO WAY has Toy Story been out for ten years. No way.

And 1984 (George Orwell for those younger than geezers) has well and truly come nd gone. The animals have taken over the farm (okay that is Animal Farm).

When I started work, women only got 95% of a mans salary for equivalent work.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to be a sexagenarian in a few weeks. Sexagenarian!!!

But that’s not what bothers me.

My baby is 30.
My oldest is soon to be 40.

My coworkers are all young enough to be my kids.
So is my boss.

The State of Ohio Department of AGING sent me a “Golden Buckeye” card, for discounts at restaraunts and stores.

Now THAT bothers me.

The only consolation?

2 years, 15 days to retirement. Imagine that…retirement!

I was born 31 years to the day after the Trinity test (yeah, missed the bicentennial by 12 days), which incidentally happened the same year my father was born.

In less than two years, I will be half the age of the atomic bomb.

The AARP has had me on their mailing list since I was 23. Every so often (usually when I’m having a bad day to start with), they will send me junk mail asking me to join them. It makes me feel old.

Seeing Back to the Future on TV a couple of years ago made me have the same thoughts as people have talked about in this thread. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

I knew I shouldn’t’ve come into this thread. Now I’m depressed.

The US bombed Hiroshima on my dads 17th birthday. My mom remembers having ice and milk being delivered to her house by a wagon drawn by a horse.
Why do you insist on telling me how long ago the moon landing was? I remember when they started selling computers in stores they came with tape cassettes as software. I know what an LP is and a 45.

Egads, life is rough on a Dirty Old Man.

I was in a Subway over the weekend. There were three drop-dead beautiful young women in the next booth. They apparently had all celebrated their 18th birthday last week. I’m chowing down on my sandwich and thinking typical D.O.M. thoughts about the lovely young ladies when the thought occured to me: I’m older than all three of them added together.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winnah! :stuck_out_tongue:

mmm… I can’t wait for the pizza hut dehydrated pizzas.

So … did you sign up for the “DIE YOUNG” option then? :wink:

Oh, I’m 22 and have been recieving “Join Us” letter from them for the past three years. Which, coincidentally enough, was when the grey hairs started becoming visible. :frowning:

~TygerD

Got you beat. I got my first visible gray hair at 21. Although, 8 years later I still have very little gray hair (you still won’t see it at casual glance, but a longer look will make it apparent, particularly at the temples). My father started going gray in his 30’s and it took him about 3 years to be completely gray.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the staff for making this the Threadspotting thread on this; my 48th birthday. :rolleyes:

HOLY SMOKES! A gas station that uses something other than the 9/10 option!

I helped start a fraternity chapter at age 20, in 1990. In a short 3 years, kids that I could have concieved while an active member will be attending the University and joining that chapter! <ouch, the actives all claim I’m old NOW >

Those same actives don’t understand the technology in “War Games”, nor do they understand how you could have an “internet” without the WWW graphical portion.

A pay phone in the hall as the only phone on the dorm floor??? Unimaginable to them.

-Butler

Kids these days think **Space Invaders ** is boring. :eek:

And I’m 26-going-on-27 in a few months, but I still clearly remember playing with the rotary phones in my dad’s office when I was a kid. I thought it was neat to watch 'em go rrrrrr-clunk.

Transformers and Rainbow Brite are my childhood! My Little Pony! Smurfs! (You can tell I’m a child of the 80’s. :smiley: )

And it’s really depressing that the 80’s are coming back now. :frowning:

I found a white arm hair at age 18. I was forced to take a class in my first semester of college that was so boring, I found it more interesting to contemplate my arm hair. That’s when I found the white one. It seems to have since fallen out and not come back.

I remember my mum telling me they were the first to get tv in their street (that was in England) and she tells us war stories of how the city kids had to come out and be billeted with them because it was safer than in London. Some of the kids took umbridge to having to drink milk from a ‘dirty cow’.
The students I teach had no idea who Bob Geldof is (that was before the latest Live 8 or whatever it was) - I sang ‘we are the world’ doing all the voices as best I could and all I got back were, holy-crap-our-teacher-is-totally-freaking-out-on-us looks from them.
When in Japan, the kids I taught had to ask what the black round thing with a hole in the middle was - they’d never seen and LP before.