Who's Jewish and has a tattoo?

I wonder why rebellious religious youth have not opted to get replications of holocaust tattoos on their forearms… it would be far more powerful than dating a shiksa if you are trying to piss off your jewish mother…

Because they actually enjoy dating the Shiksa?

Here’s one person’s take on it, at any rate.

Thank you all so much for your replies, especially Scribble for that article. It was definitely a good read. This is really helping me build up the chutzpah ;j to go ahead and do it. I have a friend who is going to go with me because she wants to get her third one and she’s excited for me.

There was an article I came across on the subject, and one person said they were a non-practicing Jew but their tat of a Jewish symbol helped them feel connected to the religion. Not to gank someone else’s reasoning but I thought that was beautiful and hadn’t considered that as a way to look at what I plan to do.

What I plan to get is a hamsa, or “hand of Fatima.” Here is a great example of one. I’m not going to include the heart, fish or eye of G-d, but I was trying to think of how to incorporate a flower and this one shows a nice way how. I think when I go I’ll take a print of this as an example and have the artist design one. Aaaaahh this is so exciting!

One Rabbi’s take on this.

Talmudic interpretation of tattooing and body altering.

[Moderator Underoos on]I’m not going to tell you again to tone it down in IMHO. If you want to insult people, do it in The BBQ Pit.[/Moderator Underoos on]

Check the time stamps. That was written well before your first warning.

I knew a Jewish woman who said she had such a tattoo in memory of a Holocaust survivor. I can’t confirm this, as the tattoo would have been covered by clothing and I didn’t ask for proof. She was an adult, though, probably not interested in pissing off her folks.

I find this personally to be pretty gruesome. It’s akin to the cult following in The World According To Garp, the Ellen Jamesians, who cut out their tongues to show support for a rape victime whose tongue was cut out.

You don’t mutilate yourself to show memory and respect. You do that kind of thing to steal fire from the real victims. If she really wanted to remember and show respect for a Holocaust survivor who she was close to, she’d volunteer at a local Holocause museum or be involved in the Shoa Project or somesuch.

My two cents.

( and yes. I am aware that Garp is a work of fiction. It’s a good example, however. )

As of yesterday, my son has one. I don’t think where he’s going to be buried is on the top of his list of concerns, though.