Who's more famous: Sherlock or Watson? (Their TV actors, that is.)

You could cattily say “Who was Cumberbatch? A nobody that my show made famous. Who was Lucy Liu? A movie star; folks tuned in and tried that other show to see her. My show was so good, it launched a career; the one she got people to give a look? Yeah, it loses viewers every season.”

(Huh. That’s a level of hypothetical cattiness I didn’t know I had in me.)

Moffat’s probably still a bit annoyed at the Elementary people. IIRC, they had come to Moffat and Gatiss to ask if they couldn’t do an American version of Sherlock, but were turned down. But the Elementary people went ahead and did it anyway, permission or no. So Moffat’s comments come out snarky.

If you exclude voiceover work (Smaug, Viper), these are the all-time box office grosses for each performer:

Lucy Liu - $514.1M
Benedict Cumberbatch - $632.5M

Top 3 for each
Charlie’s Angels / CA: Full Throttle / Payback
Star Trek: Into Darkness / The Imitation Game / War Horse

of episodes of TV or TV Mini-series each has appeared in (again, excluding voicework)

Lucky Liu - 243
Benedict Cumberbatch - 48

of Oscar nominations their films have accrued:

Lucy Liu - 21 (7 awards)
Benedict Cumberbatch - 39 (5 awards)

This is somewhat unfair to Lucy Liu, as her big hits were around 1999-2003, so inflation makes the numbers go down a bit.

If you do not account for inflation you’d think all the most popular movies ever made have come out in the last ten years or so.

That said – the top three listed for Liu, she wasn’t top-billed, or even second-billed. Whereas the hundreds of millions grossed by IMITATION GAME, that was Cumberbatch earning a leading-man Best Actor nomination.

Not only that, but they are meaningless comparisons. ST:ID wasn’t a “Benedict Cumberbatch” movie, it was a Star Trek movie.

Comparing Oscar noms for the films as a whole is even more meaningless. You need to compare the two head to head, best actor/actress vs best supporting actor/actress. And BC wins, by one nom (no wins) vs no noms (and no wins). Not like either one is needing an Oscar trophy shelf anytime soon.

Has Baneblade Cannonblast’s name ever been mentioned in an Outkast song? No? NOT FAMOUSER.

Cumberbatch also had a supporting role in 12 Years a Slave. Well, he’s been in plenty of other things too, but I mention that one because it’s a fairly recent Best Picture winner.

I’ve only seen a couple of interviews with Cumberbatch and I’ve never seen him put down Elementary. The one time I saw him talk about it at all was to mention being friends with and appearing on stage with Jonny Lee Miller. He was complimentary saying they were very different shows and they both had very different interpretations of the character and there was room for both. I agree. I like both shows.

It’s Steven Moffat, mentioned in the OP, that implied that the more famous star has the better show. And if you want to talk about more famouser stars, both Watson and Holmes, then you gotta go with Jude Law and Robert Downey, Jr.

I’d heard of Lucy Liu long before I’d ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch, but I think BC might be more famous now.