Who's your favorite painter?

Never apologize for what you like, unless it’s Thomas Kincaide, in which case you should not only apologize but cry, flagellate, beg forgiveness and perhaps offer us some extra kerosene for our torches, because times is tough.

Wyland.

Your brother in law’s work is amazing! Which protrait is of you?

T’ang Yin. I’ve had a print of this work hanging in my living room for over 25 years now. Like me, it’s getting a little beat up from age.

I would have liked to flagellate the moron at Philadelphia’s Art Museum who’d placed a huge, uhm, if the one with the dots is Manet then this was a Monet and if not the other way round… in a place where the longest distance in front of it was about two yards.

Those paintings are not intended to be looked at with your nose stuck in the canvas! It felt like hearing Carmen with a thumping bass, if you know what I mean.

Do you mean Seurat re the dots?

Yes–I had the same complaint at the Monet exhibit years ago. There was a velvet rope to ensure no visitor got too close, but the crowds still hogged the first 2 feet of floorspace in front of the pictures. I ended up standing in the middle of room (empty) and seeing the pics much better. Impressionist pics just aren’t designed for up close and personal (unless you want to see the brushwork etc).

I don’t consider Thomas Kinkade art. A blight on the scene and a horror that needs eradicating, yes.

I just discovered a new painter (for me, anyway…)

Hieronymus Bosch

I realize that he is one of the foremost Renissance painters, and super-well known. I just never heard of him before.

Any ideas on how to get a decent of print of a triptych?

The big baldy guy with glasses is me. :slight_smile:

I really like Vermeer’s work.

I’m also a huge fan of Botticelli since seeing Birth of Venus up close in person. I could have stood there for hours. I mean, I know it’s kind of a cliche, but I love that painting. It’s weird because I never cared that much for it before seeing it in real life, but when you can see the actual paint and the brush strokes and the life of the painting… it’s glorious.

Another big favorite of mine is William-Adolphe Bouguereau. This is one I like best, but my opinion changes a lot.

Really, your brother in law is a very gifted artist.

I’m partial to Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Monet, and Picasso, not necessarily in that order. I pretty much get a thrill from being in the same room as one of their paintings. Running closely behind would be Rockwell and Lichtenstein.

Whoops - here’s Wyeth’s Braids. The model, Helga Testorf, Wyeth’s nurse, was a married woman that Wyeth painted in secret, clothed and nude, for 15 years without his wife or her husband knowing, until Time Magazine blew the identity (well, for the husband. Wyeth told his wife when he sold the collection).

He’s most famous for Christina’s World, I think

Dali, and I think my favorite piece would be Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory. (I had a poster of Persistance of Memory in one of my college dorm rooms, and Swans Reflecting Elephants is in my apartment today.) I was lucky enough to see the exhibition of his work at MoMA this fall - it had some of his films, a variety of paintings and even the completed version of Destino along with the lobster telephone. I like his work for its own sake, but when seeing a collection of it I was surprising by how ‘off’ and disturbing it was. Made me think more than twice about what I was seeing.

Yes, J.M.W. Turner for me too. He was painting like an impressionist 50 years before anyone else.

Marc Chagall

I agree. Assuming An Gadai is not, in fact, a petite girl with long, flaxen hair.:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always had a thing for Van Gogh.

Pieter Bruegel the Elder. I have a framed copy of The Triumph of Deaththat is one of my prized possessions.

Two:
Vincent van Gogh: his paintings are magical-the use of color and technique is unsurpassed.
2) J.S Copley: nobody has ever surpassed his portraits.

I have that print hanging in my living room.

I think I got it from Art.com, and had it framed locally.

The print is available in 6 different sizes, but you can get it as big as 56 x 42 inches (and it’ll cost ya!) Mine’s 48 x 36 (I think)

I love that one! It’s a beautiful portrait. I looked at it a few times before I closed the page. Hmmm.

I like the phrase, “the big baldy guy” and I guess I’ll think of you from now on as that really cool big baldy guy from Ireland.