Who's your favorite US Supreme Court Justice, and why?

My personal favorite was Brennan. I’ve never met a Supreme, although I have practiced in front of Judge Breyer at district court in San Francisco. Very pleasant man, very smart. Supposedly so is his brother.

One of my law professors, Charles Reich, was a very close friend of William O. Douglas and a clerk for Hugo Black.

I loved Ruth bader Ginsburg but now I think she is being selfish by not stepping down.

Justices should be apolitical, but even if she is concerned about her replacement she has three more years.

My favorite is Associate Justice Darth Vader, best known for his unique contributions to legal realism, e.g., as in his most famous opinion, rendered in Imperial Forces v. Fartooine Rebels, "My forcehand is at your throat and that’s real."

She is am sick woman

So? She’s missed 21 days of work in six years.

Nothing wrong with staying on until death, that’s what justices were intended to do.

Haven’t met any, but our local law school has hosted programs I’ve attended that included speeches by O’Connor, Scalia (twice), and Breyer. It’s interesting to hear Scalia speak, but he’s not my favorite, even if his opinions are generally entertaining.

My favorite would probably be John Paul Stevens, because I find his opinions easy to read and usually in line with my own feelings about a given issue. He also wrote to Dave Barry about Beano.

Justice Douglas was senile when sitting on the bench. His young wife spoke for him. He was pressured to leave and was a hindrance to the court.

The honorable Bill Clinton. :cool:

Oh, I guess we are not counting future SCJ’s. :smiley:

My favorite justice is Sonia Sotomayor, because she does skits on Sesame Street.

Future would be Obama…a constitutional lawyer

A constitutional lawyer should not get consistently defeated on 1st amendment cases. This one does. A constitutional lawyer should NEVER get defeated 9-0 on a 1st amendment case. We can only assume that he doesn’t really know much about the Constitution, or that he simply doesn’t care.

How many cases does it take to make “consistent”? One? Two? Please enumerate.

I must have missed all the times Obama tried first amendment cases.

Only one President (Taft, who was under-qualified) ever went on to serve on the Supreme Court, it’s unlikely to happen again anytime soon. The career paths that lead to the White House and the Supreme Court are quite different.

How about one 1st amendment case win? He had one huge loss, the case where he got smacked down 9-0 for trying to interfere in a church’s hiring decisions.

Was it the case of a teacher in a Lutheran school claiming that she was fired because of a disability and sued the school under the ADA? If so, I think it’s a bit of a stretch to call it a “hiring decision”.

The Supreme Court unanimously felt it was.

I’d say it was an employment decision, not a hiring one. The question of whether the ADA applies to religious organizations is a legitimate one. The ACLU, hardly an enemy of the First Amendment, supported the Obama Administrations’s case.