Why Are Fundamentalists Opposed To Psychology?

[quote=“wierdaaron, post:57, topic:519666”]

In times in my life when I’ve considered finding a therapist, the one sticking point for me was whether they’d be religious or not. I know that therapists are supposed to be impartial and all that, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable going on one of my anti-religion rants with a doctor who’s secretly harboring some kind of zealous contempt for me.

And when I was a teen and was having the mundane issues that teens have, my mom was considering sending me to a place with some kind of drippy, banal name like Perspectives or Inspirations or something, and they weren’t staffed by psychologists so much as by “counselors” and “spiritual advisors.” If I’m laying out my problems, I don’t want to be told that I should pray more and hand my problems over to god and all that.

I don’t mind if my grocer, barber, gardener, neighbor, or anybody else is religious, but when it comes to seeking services that are based in and reliant on science, like a doctor or a psychologist, give me one that doesn’t believe in fairy tales.

So perhaps fundamentalists don’t like psychology for that reason. Psychology is based on science, trying to understand things by observing them, and not by trying to interpret documents from thousands of years ago. I’m sure if you pressed them, a fundamentalist would say he doesn’t agree with “science” in general. It’s not hard to picture an uber-religious type going on a rant about “science” and how it corrupts our babies with its cures for polio by trying to slander god.

*Edit: Whoopsie, I didn’t realize this was a Curtis LeMay thread. Don’t know what I was doing taking the time to provide a reasoned answer.[/*QUOTE]

That’s OK. You started out well but kinda dropped the ball in the parts I italicized above.

That’s fun. I’ll go italicize the parts of the Bible I don’t agree with now.