Why are Iodine sales now restricted by the DEA?

Cinnamon.

BaCoN. Because, face it: if it were, there’d be a lot more meth heads.

Obligatory link

There was pharmacist who wouldn’t let my mother buy Sudafed because she has high blood pressure. I don’t know why the pharmacist thinks it’s his place to decide what she can and can’t take. And she was getting it for my sister anyways.

Obviously, the answer is to go to another pharmacy, but geez. The stuff has been over-the-counter forever, and it wasn’t put behind the counter because of it’s hypertensive effects. And Mom’s taken it dozens of times. Her doctor has even prescribed her stuff that has it in it. But, because his place of work allows him to not give out medicines on ethical grounds, he was able to refuse the sale.

Man, just writing about it again makes me angry.

That only used to be true, but cinnamon-flavored meth has come largely into fashion this season.

Yes, I rather do know. Making TNT was a bit different though, we did that in class with the teacher doing much of the actual work.

I loved the 70s when you could do stupid shit like that without the bomb squad showing up.

And old all silver dimes are perfect premeasured bits of silver for silver fulminate.

And for what it is worth, I did used to work in a chemical factory, and just because someone knows how to do something, and has played at something doesn’t mean they are a terrorist :rolleyes: so I really don’t feel like coming back into the thread and getting lectured at.

Lighten up Francis.

Yeah, it doesnt make you a terrorist, even though thats exactly what I called you :rolleyes:

But not even remotely mentioning that not only was it an explosive, its probably one of most highly unstable ones does make one rather irresponsible.

Oh? Well, I didn’t give the 'recipe" nor the procedure to use, nor suggest anybody make it.

So, if I mentioned you make hash out of marijuana, I am a dealer?:rolleyes:

And I didnt in my first post:

Mention your name.

Even imply your name.

Call you a terrorist.

Or lecture you.

And neither did anybody else.

Take your complaint to the pit and see how it goes Francis.

Ed. [removed link to methamphetamine recipe]

But the classic work on the subject is Secrets of Methamphetamine Manufacture (3rd ed)

This has turned into a comical thread - but meth is no joke. IMHO, it’s worse than crack and on par with heroin.

Iodine regulation may be overstepping a bit (I used to work for DEA), but it’s an attempt at keeping this junk off the street. The execution may be flawed, but the intent isn’t.

:smack:

I work in Water Treatment in Colorado, and at times, we dump KMnO[sub]4[/sub] into the drinking water by the pound for taste and odor control. We keep upwards of 20 tons of the stuff on hand during algae season. :smiley:

It’s not what I had thought of. I was considering going from dexedrine. It may be more difficult to obtain, but raise fewer flags.

I think the most popular method currently involves the use of a pressurized vessel or “bomb”. I think it is called the ‘shake and bake’ method for anyone interested in, you know, researching it - for a friend, obviously. Most of the reagents are pretty easy to get but will introduce all manner of harmful contaminants. You would have to be extremely desperate in my opinion to consume anything made in this way.

1. I’ve removed the link **dzero **posted because the site appeared to give instructions on how to make methamphetamine.

Can’t we all just get along? Please continue the personal portion of this discussion in The Pit.

No warnings issued.
Gfactor**
General Questions Moderator

My apologies. I’ll try to bear that in mind for the future.

Thank you.

That’s great to hear that colds and allergies are just withdrawal, that means my 40 years of suffering will end if I just stop using meth. (maybe I should start using it so I can stop?)

I run a farm and we use iodine to decontaminate, the DEA putting limits and forms on everything hasn’t impacted the availability of meth at all, but it has put a real burden on farmers. When we have all 5 of us get a cold together, we have to go to the drugstore every other day because of the limits on sudafed. That costs me a lot of time and money too.

I really thought, at the time, that my statement about colds and meth withdrawal was obviously sarcastic. Next time I will be more obvious.

FTR, I occasionally work at a CSA, and I haven’t heard of any difficulty getting iodine. I have no problems buying it for brewing beer either.

That’s the interesting thing - in the time since I posted this question, it’s gotten even more puzzling. A co-worker attempted to turn in the authorization paperwork to the DEA and got a response from them telling him we didn’t need any paperwork to buy iodine, but the supplier (Sigma-Aldrich) was still telling us we did.

There were also some other chemical suppliers that were willing to supply iodine without the paperwork, but at least one other (not sure which one) also seemed to be under the impression that we needed to file papers with the DEA.

Still not sure what was going on then. The problem’s likely been resolved, since I haven’t heard about it in a couple of months, maybe more. But I’m still not sure what happened.

Would your sheriff’s last name be Wiggum, by any chance ?

• Hey now, are you using this stuff to cook meth ?
  • No sir, it’s to build homemade bombs with.
  • Oh, all right then, carry on !

:smiley: