Why are people bad with money?

I would say a big part of it is the TV.

Honestly, people watch it for hours on end and are bombarded with advertisements telling them they need this or that’s not good enough, you need one of these or check this out… etc… It has an effect and people act accordingly. Couple that with an ignorance about how the world really works and the false belief that there’s always going to be more and you have a recipe for disaster.

Also, you have to take into account that most products are made to be garbage ASAP. For instance, your favorite sports/soft/coffee drink. Now, we could create dispensers where you take your bottle and fill it up. This would be relatively cheaper and more efficient, and at the same time be less profitable. This, however, is not in the business best interests and I’m sure you can understand why.

Our culture is completely wrapped up in materialism. Our economy is I believe around 70%consumer economy in the U.S. (correct me if I’m wrong) We aren’t taught how to provide for ourselves or sustain any type of food supply, energy, or even build our own homes. All that we have is money and what seems like an endless supply of stores, malls, and goods. What do you expect?

Also, it’s been my understanding that there is just not enough money to go around. It has to do with our fractional reserve banking system and interest. Basically, all money is debt and some are just going to go without. So, it’s not necessarily something to question because they are just a product of the system.

Please take a basic macro course before posting stuff like this on the intertubes. I’ll even get you started.

Note that the ability to find discounts does not mean someone is good with money. I’ve known people who are terrible with money precisely because they’re forever finding amazing deals, and buying rooms full of stuff they never use. And they can’t understand why they’re always broke.

(I’m not saying that applies to your wife, just that it happens)

I think a lot of people don’t understand the meaning of the word “save”. Buying a pair of shoes on sale at $100 instead of $150 doesn’t mean you’ve saved $50. It means you spent $100. That’s the opposite of saving. Advertisers are guilty of this of course, using “save $x” to describe their discounts.

If it really was cheaper and more efficient it would be more profitable.

@friedo - See, I’m not about to take a macro-economics course at MIT because that’s just not in my plans. However, I don’t see you nitpicking any of my other points because they’re true.

But tell me; is it not the case that they’re is literally not enough money in circulation to provide for everybody?

@tellyworth - cheaper and more efficient for whom? Because if it isn’t cheaper for the company, not much else matters.

Tragedy of the commons, anybody?

I don’t know. You’re the one who said it would be cheaper and more efficient. What did you mean?

I used to be terribly compulsive about shopping. Those who understand the word “compulsion” know that it is not a matter of will power. At least it wasn’t in my case.

I was given a medication that was supposed to help me lose weight – and I did. I lost the compulsion to eat. At the same time, I lost my compulsion to smoke all that much. I finally stopped altogether.

I began to pay down my debts with the money that I saved by not shopping so much. When my husband saw that I was serious about the subject, he loaned me enough money to pay off my last card. Then I paid him off without interest.

After that, I saved up enough money to pay cash for everything – or use my non-interest debit card. And I still haven’t spent the generous monitary gifts my husband gave to me for Christmas, our anniversary, Valentine’s Day, and my birthday.

Strange what body chemistry can do to your mind and your life.

It does apply to my sister in law. Mom’s Deadly Line: “but, how could I say ‘oh, then no’?” (after finding out that whatever she liked was way over her budget; see: 600€ eyeglasses, 800€ curtains). SiL’s: “it was so cheap, how could I resist!” <- note that it’s not a question.

SiL has filled three storage rooms to bursting. She wanted a fourth, but Bro nixed it. She has dresses she bought over ten years ago and hasn’t worn once. Now that Bro is unemployed, her income is perfectly sufficient enough to support the family - but not the family, vacations and her shopping habit.

What I said immediately after. That if it’s not cheaper or more efficient for the company producing it, then not much else matters.

The issue of why people are bad with money is a pretty serious line of inquiry in behavioural economics. Believe me, the jury’s still out on this one.

What’s for sure is that it’s not as simple as dumb versus smart. A lot of seemingly intelligent people suck with money.

It has been a long, hard road for me learning to manage my money more effectively. I am the reason advertising exists. That stuff actually works on me. I can’t tell you how many products I have gone out and deliberately purchased after seeing them advertised on TV. I love spending money.

I couldn’t tell you what’s wrong with me. For most of my life, my money has been this nebulous concept in my head. Making an impulse purchase, since I didn’t know how much I had to spend, I didn’t limit my spending. I just thought I could figure it out later. For a long time, money didn’t matter to me at all. There was no such thing as ‘‘too expensive.’’ Actual objects had way more value to me than just dollars. And the object, whatever it was, had to be the best of its kind.

Most of my childhood, my parents had a small business. My Mom was extremely good with money (as was my grandfather, who pretty much embodies the concept of ‘‘the millionaire next door.’’) Mom’s husband, however, would spend it like crazy. We lived beyond our means. My Mom tried to teach me, but that bone in my head is broken. I can’t blame my upbringing. I think I was just born this way.

When I was 18 I discovered credit cards, and by the time I was 21 I had over $10,000 in credit card debt and was nearly defaulted on my student loans. I overdrafted at like three different banks and at one point my account was frozen. That was the lowest point of my life, I think. It was so humiliating to be turned down while trying to deposit money at my freakin’ bank. When I got in the car I just started weeping. And that was the start of change.

My then-boyfriend bailed me out of the student loans situation and I went on a debt management plan for my credit cards. Then we married and used that nice chunk of change to pay off all of our revolving debt and start fresh. I started to improve. I got a job at a consumer credit counseling agency, which required me to become more financially literate.

I have learned a lot from my husband. His family on his Dad’s side is extraordinarily wealthy, and he was taught from a young age how to manage finances. My husband’s extreme wisdom with money has more or less ameliorated my issues. I have gradually taken on more responsibility for our finances. Now we do everything together. I have much better habits now that we have concrete goals and a really good budgeting software that will tell me at a glance how much I have to spend in any one category. We each receive a small amount of discretionary income that we that we can spend on anything, but that’s it… I’ve had to learn to spread my discretionary income over a whole month. I have good credit. My only remaining debt is student loans. I have a 403(b) and a Roth IRA. My father-in-law is a former financial advisor and has helped us with the long-term strategy.

As of three weeks ago, I am now the development coordinator for a nonprofit organization (which is blowing my mind, by the way.) This means I am responsible for the financial health and fiscal strategy of my organization. How I got from forgetting I even had debt to essentially running a freaking business, I will never know. This is probably one of the most unlikely places I would end up, this does not come naturally to me, and I still have SO much to learn. But I have earned my place here and I give myself a lot of credit for how far I’ve come.