Why are refrigerator freezers on the bottom these days?

You sure? My understanding is that the sealed refrigeration components are usually 3-5 years so when your compressor goes after 32 months it is still covered. Plus with Samsung it was a known fault that caused overheating in the case that could injure someone and they STILL built it with that component. It wasn’t quite a 2nd degree burn with me but close. Slightly different than “my plastic drawer rail broke”

The compressors carry a much longer warranty. 5-10 years typically. Samsung’s compressors are highly rated and carry a 10 year warranty.

I think that part of the warranty is actually kinda useless, the compressors don’t tend to fail, the controllers for the compressors on the other hand do fail and they are only covered by the one year warranty.

Our Ice Box was a refrigerator without a freezer. The Ice went at the top, and cooled the cabinet below it.

I think it would have been natural to make an electric refrigerator on the same plan: cabient at cabinet level, cooling thing above it.

The old electric refrigerators I knew, the “icebox” (Aus name for the freezer section) wasn’t out of reach. The whole thing was smaller, and the icebox eas at or below eye level.

Given the Ice box / Ice box terminaology, I wonder if people used to freeze items by setting them on top of the block of ice in the cooler?

Unfortunately, at least on mine the freezer is just a plastic drawer that pulls out. The only insulated section that comes out with it is the front. It’s not like you’re pulling out a fully insulated drawer. So the cold does spill out. Other models might be different, though.