Why are slow people slow?

Nah, my roommate screwed things up most of the time.

I am the same way. It seems everyone I walk with goes way too slow for me.

Doing work stuff slow doesn’t bother me so much, but slow walkers…ugh! I don’t run around “like a chicken with my head cut off” (:rolleyes:) but I go at a brisk pace. I like to get where I’m going in a reasonable amount of time, so that when I’m there, I have more time to do whatever it is I went there to do! The worst is when a group of four or five slow walkers all decide to walk abreast on the sidewalk, forcing me to slow down to a near halt while I decide if it’s best to go around on the street side and walk over a snowbank/in a puddle/into traffic, or go building side and risk getting run into/slammed in the face when someone opens a door to the coffee shop and walks out.

If you’re going to walk slow, don’t talk up the whole damn sidewalk! Actually…just don’t talk up the whole damn sidewalk regardless of speed. No more than two abreast, unless it’s an exceptionally large sidewalk.

I walk at an easy gait, with confidence, and I am a little offended at being called a chihuaha! It is faster than many people, but honestly it is not really fast - I have seen many people walk faster than me. It is the people that plod I can’t stand. I just like getting to where I am going.

My husband is really slow at things. Some of it is slow thinking. He’ll be doing something and the next step only has 2 choice, one of which is impossible, and he’ll still take forever thinking about it. Things that don’t take thought he’s not slow at.

Egg-zackly.

My wife isn’t quite what you are talking about, but she moves much slower than I do. She is the type of person who does a task well and then rechecks her work. That’s great if you are writing a budget but she can’t help doing the same for trivial tasks.

If I ask her if she wants a soda, there is this really long pause while she weighs her options, meanwhile I’m standing there with a coke in my outstretched hand waiting for her to decide.

In my experience, people who do things slowly are of all sizes. Short people or children may seem to walk slower, but they’re taking more steps.
Slow walkers drive me nuts. I went to an amusement park with a group of people a few years ago, and we’d all agree we’d to go the whatever ride next. I’d start walking, and when I noticed I was alone, I’d crazy ivan back to walk with them. Repeat, repeat, repeat until we got to where we were going.

Funny you should say that. An old employee who quit to join the army came in the other night. I chatted with him for a bit and we joked about how this slow guy would last about two seconds in the army.

Mostly I think it’s laziness on slow guy’s part. The other night we were deathly slow: $80 worth of buisness in three hours and most of that did not apply to him. He should have been done with his work at least an HOUR before he actually got done. I asked him what the hold-up was and he got an attitude and said I should help him. Um no, my job is to help you IF you need help, not to do your work for you so you can plod along at a snail’s pace. Fortunately the boss agreed with me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had to change my physics minor in college. I could never finish a test in the allotted time. Talking with classmates, I discovered it took me double the time to do the homework problems. I’d even try “speed drills” reworking the homework problems. I’d shave a minute off. But still never finished a test.

Never could fix the problem I knew the physics theory and how to use the formulas. my math skills were good. I just seemed to take more time no matter what.

If you walk at an easy gait, with confidence, then you are not a chihuahua.

My husband is slow. Actually, I would say he’s deliberate. He does everything in a very deliberate way. He’s also sort of daydreamy and seems to move along in a bit of a fog. According to his mom, he’s been like that since he was a baby. He’s smart, he does well at work (actually, he and another guy go back and forth being the top revenue generators), he has a quick sense of humor, and he has a bizarrely tuned spacial awareness. But he walks slowly, he types slowly, he does tasks slowly. It takes him a year to put away a load of laundry and doing the dishes seems like an all-evening affair. Without fail, if we’re going somewhere, the whole family will be sitting in the car waiting for him to catch up to us. My oldest son is exactly like him, spaciness and everything.

How is it “messing with people’s money” to not deposit a check? If they never deposit it, then great. But if it takes them 90 days to deposit it, you still have subtracted the amount from your balance, right?

If you slow people would not stand several abreast when walking, stop at the end of escalators, and block grocery aisles, then maybe those of us who walk at a normal pace would not have to bump into you to get you to move out of the way. :smiley:

I just push them down the escalators so they get out of the way. Except it totally backfires when you try to push them down the up escalator because then they just fall forever.

I tend to move slowly in the winter because I’m sleep-deprived and the ground is icy. In the summer I tend to move slowly because it’s fucking hot and I don’t like to sweat. In the spring and fall I move slowly because I like to enjoy the beautiful weather. (Seriously. Not being facetious here)

But I work very quickly because I type, and think, extremely fast. I work in a call/fax claim center, and have to deliberately slow myself down so as not to exceed my 4 faxes per hour expectation, although my callers are off the phone in record time.

As an aside, I have a principle about entering exactly enough faxes because if I am too productive, that’s one more employee my department will refuse to hire. We just rescinded a 2+ year hiring freeze in my department and I refuse to work harder than the minimum. Because assuming that I’ll eventually move on from this place, it’d take 2 people to fill my shoes if I worked to capacity every day–they would never hire 2 people to replace 1 person and I don’t want to burden my future former coworkers.

Plus, I’m just not passionate about the job. I, like Peter Gibbons, work hard enough not to get fired.

Ever shop at a Wal-Mart in El Paso or Las Cruces? You’ll never experience real slow until you have.

I feel your pain! My husband is also slow. He takes forever to get ready in the morning. He takes forever to eat. He takes forever to do anything. I can do the dishes or clean the bathroom or <insert x> in 1/3 the time that it takes him. If we’re having a conversation, there are times I will have to wait forever before he offers a response. I find that particularly sad because it’s not like I’m Ms. Efficient myself. I’m a pretty low-energy person.

He’s a smart guy and a very hard worker, but for some reason he’s just… slow. Sometimes I watch him in the morning (when he’s his slowest) and I think to myself, ‘‘My god, if he’s like this at 27, what will he be like when he’s 80?’’ :eek:

My husband is quite slow at things; however, this is because he has an obscenely developed attention to detail. Seriously - when he does something it’s perfect - it may take him a bit longer to finish, but it never has to be redone. He installed a garbage disposal for my mom and the wiring underneath was so pretty that my brother took pictures to use for future reference when he does things at home.

FWIW, hubby is an apprentice electrician and his job reviews always come back that he needs to work on improving his speed , but his work and attention to detail are impeccable. His employers love him - it’s much easier to encourage someone to speed up a bit than it is to try to get a sloppy person to slow down and do things correctly.

I’m just like that myself sometimes.

I can’t really explain it. In some ways I’m very smart. I have a Ph.D. in physics, I’m a highly paid software engineer, etc. But sometimes my brain goes into “foggy” mode, and I just can’t think very fast.