Why are there still prostitutes now that we have AIDS?

There are HIV statistic pages. I think that like 75% of US prostitues have HIV & 95% of asian prostitues do.

But then, what about the middle group,
bisexuals?

<beavis>hehehe… he said “75% of us prostitutes”</beavis>

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions

No way Opal, I said US as in United States.
duh. :slight_smile:

An even more disturbing explanation for the OP is that so many people prefer to believe UL instead of facts.

Yesterday, one of the big network morning news shows was describing a particularly alarming trend–the spreading belief that drinking Mountain Dew (the soft-drink, not the moonshine) will prevent pregnancy!

I stand corrected. I was refering to the USA not the world at large and should’ve clarified that.

However I still would not equate AIDS to the plague or even canceer. The plague was far deadlier, easier to spread, etc.

I do believe information, while key, is simply not accepted in many cases. I know of gay men who believe AIDS is now controllable with drugs and you don’t die. They don’t realize how much the drugs cost and what kind of life you have. You essentially become controlled as you schedule you life around pills. (which don’t always work).

As to the original post, AIDS will continue because people simply do not care. Prostitution exisits because of (as stated) supply and demand.

pssst! handy! it was a joke :wink:

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions

I thought this topic was going to be about dougie_monty being a prostitute that had AIDS.

Kidding.

Not that this should stop people from practicing safe sex…etc. But according to the Center for Disease Control AIDS has dropped from one of the top ten ways to die ( I forget the placement, I think sixth or seventh) to fourteenth from 1990 to 1997 (I think it’s 1997, it’s when I read the article.) All the public ads and education seem to be working.

Number one way to die? Heart disease, then cancer.

You’re kidding, eh, Phobia…oh well, I thought this was wishful thinking on your part (it couldn’t be farther from the truth!)

Shirley Ujest, that’s because people with HIV live a lot longer, there are better drugs.

Live longer to infect more people? Who knows, I don’t see that much decline in the number of people who have HIV.