Why are vinyl records to flippin' expensive?

It is on hiatus while we try to find someone who can fix the mimeograph machine.

The new compressed “louder” stereo ones, versus the new uncompressed mono ones.

The ones I’ve known, though I’ve not run in those circles for years. I still read Mix and a couple of other audio magazines, but I moved to video and computers in the 90s.

I have some excellent vinyl too, but it is such a pain to even approach the same level of quality that it is not worth it. As I said, in my experience, vinyl fans are fetishists. They love the act of playing a record - removing the object from the sleeve, handling it gingerly, cleaning it lovingly, placing it upon the alter, securing it with a clamp…

Been there, done that. Now I only do it when ripping something that has never been released on CD to hard disc.

I’ll argue that the best audio quality is obtained by playing from hard drive. If you rip from a CD with a top quality ripper, the resulting audio file will have fewer “concealed errors” than playing back the CD in real time.

The groove is cut into the raw lacquer with a device that is essentially a phono cartridge in reverse. Instead of the movement of the groove being transmitted via a shaft to a pair of magnetic pickups, the cutting head uses a pair of powerful electromagnets to move the shaft to cut the groove.

All bass energy has to be summed to mono. Not doing so could result in both electromagnets trying to pull the shaft in two different directions at the same time overheating the windings of the electromagnets and damaging them. I never caused this sort of damage myself, but the result is a very expensive thing to fix.

Between any two careful playings? No. But cumulatively? Yes.

Sorry it took me a while to notice this. I was distracted.

What’s a record?

d&r

I don’t have much of value to contribute to the thread - I just wanted to brag about the time Jim and I found about two milk crates worth of mint-condition LPs out by the dumpster at his old apartment. And I’m talking MINTY stuff - The Doors, Bob Dylan, lots of well-known and lesser known 70s stuff, in perfect condition. :smiley:

Wtf?! Who would throw those away?! Perhaps a pissed off ex? My gods! Gods, I say! Where does this “Jim” live again? And can I hang out by his dumpster?

To some people it is noticable to others like me, not so much.

A well taken care of vinyl will last but since the needle physically touches the record there will be wear you don’t get with the laser CD thing.

If you want more on debates like this go to HydrogenAudio and look at their forums. These guys are hardcore audiophiles and the forums have a lot of good debates on the subject