Why can't we file taxes directly with the IRS?

The tax companies that will do your federal taxes for free actually calculate your state taxes, but the filing isn’t free. But you can print out the results and then fill in your state forms and file them with the state.

Ours is fairly straightforward. We just don’t want to have to deal with learning the Oregon tax code.

You mean the IRS doesn’t just take everybody at their word? :smack: Of course I know that. But they don’t know about thousands and thousands of dollars in legitimate deductions I claim each year. If they want to do my return for me and tell me how much I owe, they’re going to have to go through all the receipts and bills I collect all year.

OP, you can get all the forms and instruction books at any public library. If you have investments things will be a little more complicated, but everything you need is right there. If you’re able, for example, to assemble furniture from an instructions, you should be able to file your own taxes. It’s not that bad. My only advice would be to grab a couple extra forms if you want to run the numbers twice and check your work.

If all you’ve got is a job and an apartment, doing the paper forms is honestly probably faster than using TurboTax.

You can use HR Block’s site to efile for free for the EZ Form.

They charge you if you want to efilel for State also.

The IRS doing your taxes for you would be optional. I’m guessing for the majority of people, the standard deduction is the way to go. That’s where it makes sense. My folks used to do taxes, and mom would charge people $5 to fill out their 1040 EZ, mostly because they insisted on paying something.

And, as a twist - how about you fill in blank on what your deductions are and the IRS takes the bigger number?

It’s not just deductions, and there may be advantageous bits and pieces of the tax code that taxpayers aren’t aware of. Like that $300 that being a student got me, even though I was using the standard deduction.

I work for the U.S. Department of Labor, and I’m sure this is basically it. I also remember the rollout of the Obamacare website and shudder to think an IRS.gov e-file site the week before April 15. People seem to believe that the government has similar technology that large private companies have and that isn’t true at all! The government uses antiquated tech, due to lack of funding, all the time - I shudder(again) when I remember how long I had to use IE 6.0 at work.

Exactly. It can be done. I mean, if the U.S can build a space program, it certainly has the capability to create a centralized front-end that can electronically send returns to the States.

This makes me sad. I don’t think the private sector should be involved at all. As other countries have shown (e.g. Australia, Canada, etc) you don’t need to have a middle-man for every little thing the government requires. I believe that if it’s something the government requires you to do (e.g. file taxes, get an ID, get a SS card, etc etc) it should be free. Private corporations should not have the monopoly on e-filing.

I also don’t believe charging me a free Federal return and then charging me $39.99 for a State return is fair. How can sending one single State return cost so much? This is just middle-manning, taking money from the pockets of Americans to do something we’re legally required to do anyway. It’s sanctioned theft.

$12.95 is still high (it should be free!) but it’s acceptable. If you don’t mind me asking, where did you go? Was it one of the e-file companies?

Thanks.

• Honesty

It costs as much as you are willing to pay. What state are you in? In CA they have free electronic filing of the state returns. I provided a link earlier in the thread. Here’s a link to information forfree filing for all 50 states.

I get TurboTax through my bank to file a 1080A or 1080EZ for free. TurboTax assumes the liability for incorrectly calculating the amount owed, assuming the end user provides correct and accurate values.

I believe you can, in fact, file directly through the IRS website, but you would have to perform the calculations manually.

freetaxusa.com. I have been using them since 2003 with no problems at all, and have recommended them to many other people without hearing any complaints.

ProTip: Make sure you store your ID and password for the site wherever you store your annual tax information. Once you’ve done your taxes with them once, they will store everything for the next year, and doing your taxes will be incredibly fast.

Holy crap! Thanks, man. I just bookmarked that site.

Thanks for the information.