Why did my fudge not turn out right?

Finally had a failure! (does that make me a real cook or something?).

Followed Alton Brown’s recipe. I had made it once, successfully. Had enough ingredients for a second batch so I tried that yesterday.

Got to the “put a lid on it for 3 minutes” step and realized I’d forgotten the corn syrup. Whoops. Quickly stirred that in, then did the lidded boil.

After that, I attached the thermometer and let it cook until 234-235 degrees. Oddly, when I tested drops of it in cold water, the drop didn’t seem all that homogeneous - more like specs of very dark, suspended in lighter syrup - but the thermometer and the drops all said “soft ball”. So I cooled it down - probably to about 170 (which was about where I’d cooled the previous batches) then into the KitchenAid. It looked normal enough - though there wasn’t the really thick layer stuck to the bottom of the saucepan like there was with the previous batch - I hardly had to scrape the bottom of the pan at all whereas with the previous batch, if I hadn’t scraped the bottom, there would hardly have been anything in the mixing bowl. The bit I tasted didn’t feel right in the mouth, either.

Beat, beat, beat… beat, beat, beat… beat, beat, beat… finally it got “matte” and when I tasted a bit it had that finely-grained mouthfeel.

Into the pan, a few hours of cooling, and I pressed gently on the top - too much give. Pulled it out by the foil lining (I line the pan with butter-covered foil, that way I can get the whole mess out onto a flat surface for easy slicing). Cut into pieces, ate one - tasted good but a bit softer than expected.

Figured this was one for the fridge so I popped it into the fridge. Tried a bit this morning - the pieces were no longer distinct. Though they had firmed up quite a bit. Oh well. I re-cut the squares (which were visible, just the cut no longer went through the bottom of the slab).

I guess I didn’t cook it quite long enough despite the thermometer - either that, or the lateish addition of the corn syrup really made a difference!

If the recipe calls for Carnation EVAPORATED Milk use evaporated milk, which is milk that has had part of its water content evaporated.

Eagle Brand CONDENSED milk is a different product, it is sweetened.

The two products are NOT interchangeable. Both can be used to make perfectly nice fudge, but the recipes and methods are not the same.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I haven’t read over the whole thread as I have been dealing with a bloated llama and am waiting for the vet and hanging around Cafe Society whilst I do so.

I made the peanut butter fudge and it turned out well.

I think the reason your fudge merged was probably the late addition of the corn syrup.