Why did my oven door blow open?!?

i have a friend who tells the story of a friend who blew the door off his oven, he closed it and blew custard powder into the flames. you get a nice explosion if you can ignite the fine particles, ive seen similar done with flour.

That’s insane. It doesn’t even make sense. The thermal shock would be BIGGER if the door is left open. I never leave my oven door open to cool down. Sounds like a manufacturer that is cutting corners and/or shitty customer service. I’m guessing both. Ovens are not supposed to to do that.

Or am I putting my life in danger by leaving my oven door closed?

What brand and who did you talk to? I’ve never in my life heard of this being required to prevent an oven door from shattering. I think you were given the run around.

Athena - you might need a new dining room suite, too, just to be sure. Pig poltergeists are tricky.

The nice lady on the phone is a company shill.

Is it a GE or a KitchenAid?

Athena, you’re one of my favorite posters, so I’m only thinking of your safety and welfare here. You may want to redo a bathroom or two as well - just to be on the safe side. These things can travel!

Well hell! Someone not only knows who I am, but likes my posts! blush

And yeah, I think the entire first level has to be redone. You don’t want to take chances with poltergeists.

If you’ve got pig poltergeists there’s no better way to rid yourself of them than with a big, bad Wolf.

I concur about the flour. (Isn’t that essentially what happens in a grain mill fire?) Anyhow, when I was a kid, I learned somewhere that you can throw “fireballs” if you hold a lit lighter or match with one hand, and throw a sufficiently dispersed cloud of flour with the other hand at it. It was tricky, as if the flour was too clumped, you’d just put out your fire, but get it fine and dispersed, and you’ll get a rather impressive ball of fire.

The computer programmer in me wants you to cook another ham and see if it happens again.

I think we all want that.
Then again, I’m a programmer too.

-D/a

The Mythbusters build team got a rather spectacular result with powdered coffee creamer. :smiley:

I do too and I [del]copied[/del] wrote an Applescript.

Dudes! I’m a programmer too, but heck if I’m going to risk a ham to debug my oven! It’s a HAM for God’s sake, not some second-rate subroutine!

we had a teacher who demonstrated it to us with a tin that had a funnel full of flour, a tube and a lit candle. She put the lid back on the tin and blew the flour out from the tube, the lid flew off and a flame at least a foot high jumped out