[QUOTE=mstay]
The only way I can conceive of this working is if the other
Arab nations’ contributions involved a couple hundred thousand troops
following intelligent counter-insurgency doctrine along with the rebuilding
of the infrastructure and we withdrew fairly quickly. That just might’ve
worked.
[/QUOTE]
So…you can’t conceive of a situation in which, had Saddam and his
government fled, other governments, including Arab governments, would not or
could not be brought on board as a peace keeping force during the interim??
Seriously? And this is fantasy to you?
Well, I don’t know what to say in that case…seems reasonable to me that
had Saddam folded, other nations in the region would have been eager to make
sure the wheels didn’t fly off during the power vacuum. I don’t really see
that intelligent counter-insurgency doctrine has anything at all to do with
this scenario…or why it would have mattered AT THE TIME to anyone at all.
Unless they had a time machine of course…and an alternative history time
machine at that.
Maybe you didn’t actually read what I was responding too?
[QUOTE=mstay]
We lost their trust. Reading stories of hopeful Iraqis trying
to make their country better only to be disillusioned or killed/maimed or
having them join the insurgency really tears at me.
[/QUOTE]
Thats true enough.
[QUOTE=mstay]
The Iraqi army didn’t actually fight us in a serious manner. At
least, not in a conventional military fashion. A couple of units attempted
such and were absolutely destroyed because the United States has the most
technologically advanced and arguably well trained troops in the world. The
Iraqi conventional army, on the conventional battlefield, was never a
factor, in the real world or any hypothetical we can spin.
[/QUOTE]
Well, thats not really the point one way or the other. I think the Iraqi’s
fought harder and were more of an initial factor than you are giving
them…but really its irrelevant IMHO to what I was discussing. Except in
the fact that they wouldn’t have fought at all, at least IMHO, had Saddam
folded. And also there would have been less of a power vacuum had Saddam
and his government bolted and the US/Coalition forces basically just come in
too keep the peace and during the transition. As things happened in
reality, we had to fight our way to the capital, and even THROUGH the
capital…and during that time there WAS a pretty severe gap due to the fact
that Saddam and the Iraqi’s C&C were so disrupted…and no one was in
charge.
[QUOTE=mstay]
Again, the threat of us ‘facing’ the Iraqi army on a
conventional battlefield is meaningless. If you mean the threat of them
melting away and starting the nascent insurgency then you have to explain
yourself. In an alternate reality where Hussein and others at the top left
the country as a prelude to our invasion why wouldn’t the Iraqi military do
exactly what they did in our reality?
[/QUOTE]
Again, you are both discounting what the Iraqi’s did and did not do, the
time gap…and also the question I was actually answering. The ‘threat’ the
Iraqi’s posed or did not pose to US/Coalition forces was irrelevant to the
question I was actually answering.
To answer your question though, no…in the alternative history I was
speaking too (in response to the discussion earlier I was having with Der),
the Iraqi Army wouldn’t have taken the field at all…so coalition forces
(who I speculate would have been composed of several nations that didn’t
actually take part in the reality invasion) would have simply driven to the
capital and taken control without fighting at all. The Iraqi military
wouldn’t (perhaps) have been dissolved at all…just stood down. After all,
if there was no fighting, there would be no reason to dissolve them
completely (and no reason for the beaten remnants to melt away…as there
would BE no beaten remnants, ehe?).
[QUOTE=mstay]
Well, OK, jokes aside, it’s the year 2007 – an informed person simply can’t sit back and pretend no one predicted what is happening today would happen, nor can one attribute such predictions to a small group. Obviously, they lost the internal debate due to an accident of history.
[/QUOTE]
Well, as I wasn’t saying this, I’m not sure where this is coming from. However…out of curiosity…show me some the mass of informed people who predicted what would happen in Iraq BEFORE the invasion wrt the insurgency we are currently seeing. Because frankly I don’t recall the hue and cry predicting all thats happened. As I recall things, it was supposed to be the invasion that was going to inflict all the casualties people were wringing their hands over. If there were scores of folks predicting this kind of thing I must have missed it myself at the time.
Not that this has anything to do with what I myself was discussing, mind…this is for my own curiosity only.
[QUOTE=mstay]
If you wish “commonly acknowledged” to mean the public debate as portrayed by the major media sources then I don’t think you wish to go down that road. If 40% of the voting public could locate Iraq on a map I’d be pleasantly surprised.
[/QUOTE]
No idea how this is at all related to anything I said so…strawman?
[QUOTE=mstay]
As for the gist of your argument, it also doesn’t make sense to me.
[/QUOTE]
Obviously.
[QUOTE=mstay]
Please explain how Hussein can influence the insurgency in such a macroscopic way.
[/QUOTE]
He didn’t…nor did I say he did. I’ll just assume you haven’t read or perhaps understand what I wrote…not that you are trying to put words in my mouth.
Though I’m into my 4th glass of some very fine single malt, I’ll try and 'splain: The power vacuum left behind when Saddam’s government and military was cut off from its C&C abilities left a gap while the US and coalition forces basically attempted (with far too few troops) to secure the major infrastructure of the country…including the capital. Couple that with basically the beaten remnants of Saddam’s army AND more importantly his para-military forces fading into the wood work during the resultant chaos and you have basically the situation we face today. When you add it the various folks pissed off by the odd bombing killing family members, the chaos and shortages before even basic services were restored, and any number of OTHER insults dealt during the invasion by the invaders and its not hard to see where this insurgency sprang from.
Take most of those factors away, especially the large gap while the country was in limbo, the need to bomb the shit out of the countries infrastructure, or attack military targets that were intermingled with a civilian population, the disbanding of the regular military in such an irregular way, the deliberate dispersal of the para-military into a guerrilla posture, and the power vacuum when Saddam et al were still about but unable to impose C&C coupled with the allies still attempting to do so through hostile country, and I don’t see why its such a ‘crazy’ idea…unless you don’t really understand any of this stuff of course. Which seems to be the case, sadly.
[QUOTE=mstay]
Explain how we wouldn’t have the insurgency in this alternate reality. We’d still go through with deb-Baathification, right?
[/QUOTE]
Why would there necessarily BE an insurgency had Saddam and the Ba’athist folded? Where would it come from? Oh, I concede that the Sunni might still have been pissed off…but without the harm done initially to the infrastructure during the invasion phase, without the large numbers of Iraqi troops suddenly cut loose after being beaten AGAIN by the US, without the para-military formations to form the core of the initial insurgency…well, where exactly would the outrage have come from do you think?
Again, I’ll concede we might still have gotten some discontents…but think about it. The Iraqi infrastructure wouldn’t have been destroyed. Food, medical supplies, vital services wouldn’t have been disrupted. Large numbers of civilians wouldn’t have had their homes bombed, shot at…or family members killed incidentally by both sides shooting where they happen to live. And IF the US had managed to get other Arab nations (perhaps Saudi, maybe Syria or better yet Jordan, etc) on board for the transitional occupation I think it would have made things go even more smoothly. And Saddam et al agreeing to take the golden parachute and go somewhere else would have opened that door. Hell, I think, as I said earlier, that some of our Euro buddies who abstained from an invasion would have been more willing to peacefully occupy an Iraq who’s leadership had left the building.
[QUOTE=mstay]
The point is, if we did all those things the same way we’d achieve the same result.
[/QUOTE]
Well, if we did all the same things in the same way, then it wouldn’t be an alternative…would it? I wasn’t speculating (though you obviously were…or thought I was) that we ‘did all the same things in the same way’. I was speculating how things could have changed if Saddam and his merry men decided to throw in the towel, to take the money and run while the running was good.
[QUOTE=mstay]
Do you disagree?
[/QUOTE]
How can one disagree? Obviously if an alternative history worked out exactly as history DID worked out…then it would be exactly the same.
I disagree that had things been different they would necessarily have worked out exactly the same…if thats what you are driving at. I think had Saddam and the Ba’athists left (something I think COULD have happened, but something I doubt WOULD have…if you get my drift), then I think that its reasonable to conclude that there would be at least the possibility that things would have worked out differently…and therefore be different today.
Do YOU disagree? 
-XT