Why did "surf music" come to be? Why the connection to surfing?

Yes it is. At least, it appears on several collections of surf music in my library. that’s good enough for me.

Now I wanna go skeet surfin.

Two comments:

• Fender and other amps were coming out with reverb - it was a newer innovation; their earlier Tweed amps typically weren’t reverb; the 60’s-update of their model line introduced it.

• That coincided with California Culture really coming into its own in the late 50’s and early 60’s (as portrayed in American Graffiti from the 70’s). In some ways, surf music was the music trend, just like Beach movies with Frankie and Annette, hot rods like Tom Wolfe’s Kandy Kolored, Tangerine Flake Baby (or whatever it was called), etc…the fact that the Beach Boys didn’t surf much/at all but were trying to capitalize on the fad…

Specifically, that fast-picking playing style of Dale’s – isn’t that something very popular in the folk music of the Balkans and the eastern Mediterranean area?

…and Eddie Van Halen solos, like the one on Beat It? ;):smiley:

But, to answer your question, yeah bouzouki’s and round-back mandolins were often played with that rapid-pick style…pretty funny that surf dudes and shredders took it over and made sound so cool

Reverb sounds wet.

Nick Rivers rocks!

Just watch out for Nazis.

Whoa - don’t get deep on me, dude.

:wink:

(in studio/music production lingo, adding any time effect like reverb, chorus, delay, echo, etc. is called your “wet sound.” You typically try to decide what mix of your wet sound and your dry sound (either same track with no effects or an altogether different, dry track you recorded) you want on the final cut…)

He also surfs who only stands and wades.