Why did telegraph messages SOUND WEIRD STOP?

Ah, makes sense.

My guess is, it is only in the last 10 to 15 years that typing in all caps is considered shouting.

And, since they had so much practice at it, I bet most operators could send “STOP” in about the same amount of time as a period.

IIRC a musician (I’m thinking Mason Williams) wrote a little book that included a “telegram poem” with lines like:

I FIRST MET YOU AT A BUS STOP
AND THE SIGHT OF YOU MADE MY HEART STOP

Can’t find a cite, saw the book maybe 30 years ago.

Pretty decent answer in that link:

Most telegraph messages (after the very early years) were transmitted using the Baudot code (or in America, the Murray variation of it). Those are 5 bit codes, so a maximum of 32 characters. The alphabet takes 26 (upper case only, no room for lower case), 1 for a space, leaving 5 characters remaining. Not enough room for a full set of punctuation characters, those were used for control characters. There wasn’t even room for the 10 digits, those had to be sent with an extra figure shift before them.

So you couldn’t use lower case or periods in a telegraph message – there was no such character to send.

I found this interesting:

Is this still true with USPS? Can I address a letter to my Congressman in Washington and get it sent there without a street address?

Also, I’m going to start giving out my address as “His, Excellency,…”

I don’t know, either, but in J-school in the mid-90s, we were still typing (or writing) “-more-” at the bottom of pages that continued to the next and “-30-” for the last page of news stories we’d hand in for assignments.

Journalists used to use cablese to reduce the number of words in an international cable; this [probably apocryphal] exchange supposedly passed between the London Daily Telegraph’s office and their man in the Congo:-

WHY UNNEWS QUERY

• UNNEWS HERE STOP

• UNNEWS THERE UNJOB HERE STOP

• UPSTICKJOB ARSEWARDS STOP RUDE LETTER FOLLOWS STOP

Evelyn Waugh’s novel Scoop famously contains several examples

UNPROCEED LAKUWARD STOP … REMAIN CONTACTING CUMREDS STOP NEWS EXYOU UNRECEIVED STOP DAILY HARD NEWS ESSENTIALIST STOP…

I always wondered if it worked the same way in German. It seems like You can put a whole sentence into a compound noun in German if you try hard enough.

There was a maximum number of characters in a word.

There were all sorts of rules and sub-rules to keep things from getting out of hand. Some examples:

Interesting reading.