Why did that actor/actress do this movie?

I tip my hat!

I have never seen Jaws 4, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have read the Michael Caine quote you alluded to, and it is awesome.

When “The Brave One” came out in theaters, Entertainment Weekly did an extensive interview. In it Foster admitted one of the big reasons she did it was that at her age it’s harder to find quality roles for women. She even said her agent told her the movie wasn’t perfect but that she wouldn’t find many roles if she insists on the perfect situation.

Which is crap as she’s a pretty powerful figure in Hollywood and, as shown with The Brave One, she can make a role for a woman appear if she wants to.

Jon Voight vs. Dog wins the thread.

I believe the exact quote was, “I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

Colin Firth must have done What a Girl Wants for the money. Amanda Byne was adorable but the movie was boring & cliched (sp) I haven’t seen teh St Trinian movies but they have had bad reviews too.

That’s a dirty lie!

Drugs also play a major role.

I wouldn’t expect a critic to like the St Trinian movies, but the one I watched was technicolor, in-your-face, popcorn fun; one of those which look like the people making it were having lots of fun on the job. Angsty folk should not even look at their iMDB files, as the allergical reaction may lead to hospital stays.

Michael Caine is very honest about why he makes movies. He has said something like “I take any reasonable role I can get. About half of them will be fairly decent films. About one in five of them will be pretty good. One in fifty of them will win me an Oscar.”

I would say that Raúl Juliá’s final performance wasn’t really the apex of his career.

Donald Sutherland did a lot of flicks for what seems to be the money. I’ve been dragged twice to films chosen by friends simply because Sutherland was in them, and they were awful. In the movie Gas he doesn’t even appear with any of the other leads, convincing me that he filmed his scenes away from everyone else, and maybe all in one day.

Michael Caine has, indeed, appeared in plenty of clunkers.
Laurence Olivier made it pretty clear near the end of his life that he was trying to set aside money for family, which explains his appearances in *The Jazz Singer, A Little Romance, * and probably Clash of the Titans.

Apparently, he knew he was dying, and took that role for a final payday that allowed him time with his kids, who were also big fans of Street Fighter.

Sad but true. From what I’ve heard this was Richard Pryor’s rationale for doing crap like Superman 3.

It’s amazing to watch Street Fighter and realize what a different level Raul Julia was working on compared to the rest of the cast. For as stupid as it was, this line was delivered so perfectly that it almost redeems the whole thing:

Wasn’t Peter O’Toole in the Hallmark Channel Thomas Kincaide movie? Yeah, I think he’s a prime candidate to win this thread.

Anyway, speaking of Michael Caine, check him out in “On Deadly Ground,” a Steven Seagal clunker from the early 90s that also happens to be one of my favorite “so bad it’s good” movies. It’s a worth a viewing if for no other reason than to see him chew the scenery as a corrupt, Indian jacket wearing, bolo tie sporting oilman.

He was. My wife insisted on watching it because it starred Jared Padalecki (one of the co-stars of Supernatural, her favorite show) as Kincaide. Gads, that was awful. Even O’Toole couldn’t redeem it.