Why did the Chinese never change over to a phonetic script?

I always thought it was pretty cool that although many Chinese can’t speak each others dialect or even language they can all read the same newspaper, and they can all read Analects in it’s original script. The English language in contrast is difficult to read after 600 years, and if you’re not a scholar Beowulf is gibberish.

Yes, I’m quite aware of the fact that Romaji is used to enter Japanese characters. I’ve been doing it for some years now.

Yes, I should have mentioned that the traditional orders are arranged by stroke count. Of course, there are lots of radicals at each stroke count, so that’s why a deeper level of organization is needed.

I asked my Taiwanese wife, who teaches Chinese at universities (in addition to her research work on social medical issues) and she asked why would they want to abandon their characters. She said they’ve got a lot of pride in them.

Japanese is easier because of the two syllabry in addition to the kanji. They tremendously reduce the number of obscure kanji which would be required to learn.

One purpose the complexity of a written language serves is to separate the educated from the uneducated. Efforts at simplification of any language–including English–are undermined by pedants who use the complexity to advantage… :wink:

In any case, the failure to simplify Chinese has been good for promoting the broader distribution of English as the universal de facto standard.