Why did they do that? - Stupid details ruining good songs

Nope.

A partial explanation is that the Love Shack is inspired by an actual tin-roofed cabin where Kate Pierson once lived.

Garland Jeffreys sublime "Matador" is nearly ruined by the pointless and totally out of place with the rest of the song “Di-Di Dip Dips” he yells at the end.

Now that you mention it, I think you may be right. I think I’m going to have to dig it up now to find out.

I agree with this. It’s especially evident in the (otherwise awful) video, where she stands up and screams those lines in a crowded theater while the asshole boyfriend shrinks down in his seat, humiliated.

As to the OP, the thing that immediately jumped out in my head was the cringe-worthy rap section of Rush’s “Roll the Bones”.

What the hell?

Anyway, the conventional wisdom is that “my tin roof rusted” is slang for pregnant. After lots and lots of sex, (“bang, bang, on the door, baby,” repeated), the the guy is shocked the girl is knocked up (“Your what!?”). The one flaw in this theory is I haven’t been able to find a single use of the phrase antedating “Love Shack.” Maybe it was extremely local slang.

ETA: Well, I see the theory was debunked before I bunked it.

Well, you have to admit that if any one group could be known for their superior appreciation of modern popular music, it would have to be the U.S. Senate. :smiley:

Joni Mitchell singing the last line of Big Yellow Taxi in a deep voice, I’m okay with. Her idiotic laughing at herself for doing so…not so much.

I believe I have THE definitive song to match the OP.

Hooked on a Feeling preceded by that horrendous chorus of “Ooga Chagga, Ooga Chagga, Ooga Ooga…”.

Sonic Youth’s “Mote” is a nifty little tune except for the minutes of guitar feedback tacked onto the end. Of course, in this case, it’s very easy to answer the question of why they did it – it’s because they’re Sonic freakin’ Youth! Guitar feedback is their reason to live.

The instrument is a Jew’s harp. In my opinion, it’s an instrument that’s rarely used well, but I actually don’t mind it too much in “Bird on a Wire.” It’s more of a background drone there. For a song where it really works, check out “Black Girls” by Violent Femmes.

I hate the rap part of Blondie’s “Rapture.” The part of the song before that is pretty and kind of spooky, but then it gets trashed by the terrible, terrible lyrics about men from Mars eating cars. I don’t want the rap part to be cut out entirely; I just wish Debbie Harry had found something less idiotic to rap about.

Agreed 100% about “Rapture”

Admittedly, hard to argue. In interview’s Ged has said they had several versions of that including a woman and a true rap artist from Toronto. Instead they chose to just let Ged do it with his voice phased way down.

I’ll back Rush against most anyone. But that’s one BAD call, guys. That’s a song that needs an alternate take, badly. Or maybe a special release with the alternate performers giving it a go.

I’m surprised at myself, as I usually hate it when sombody does a stupid version of a song I like, but I do love this one. It’s just so goofy. It’s almost like a whole different song, with a whole different attitude. Makes me laugh every time. Also makes me wonder what the heck they were thinking.

If you think that bit of the song is bad, you should see what they did in the video. I never imagined that a dancing, rapping skeleton with a mohawk could look so dumb.

Can I vote for the U2 song (Vertigo, Wikipedia tells me) that begins with “Unos… Dos… Tres… CATORCE!” Being that I can actually count to four in Spanish, this intro always annoyed the irrational hell out of me, inspiring me to sing along whenever I heard it on the radio as “Uno… Dos… Tres… FOURTEEN!”

Wiki also tells me that the sole explanation for that is that “there may have been some alcohol involved”. So that’s actually kinda funny, but the song itself pisses me off.

I don’t really mind U2’s miscounting. Nor Feist’s similar miscounting, “One, two, three, four, five, six, nine, ten.”

Or Sam the Sham? “Uno! Dos! One-Two-Tres-Quatro!”

And they’re so proud of it that you can see it on the backscreen when they play it live.

Heh. The Hasselhoff rendition