Why did we allow such BAD food to become the norm?

What about AEROSOL CHEESE IN A CAN??? WTF? Why? Why?

I remember an ad campaign for this stuff a few years ago. The picture was a cartoon cow with a can of cheese FOR AN UDDER! The cow was looking down at its aerosol udder with a weird, smug, satisfied look. Oh yeah, I though it was gross before but now it seems much more appealing.

I agree with the adults’ taste being ignored for “kid’s” tastes. I know lots of people who eat Kraft dinner and chicken fingers almost every night because their kids “won’t eat anything else” Uh, do you give the kids anything new to try? “No, because they won’t eat it” Have you tried? “No, because they won’t try it”. So they eat a narrower and narrower range of bland convienience foods. Not my future cubs!

My high school marching band went to London several years ago.

I just could not get over being in the company of halfwits. “What do you mean they don’t have American cheese?”

That, and they kept on wanting to eat at McDonalds. Good Lord. :rolleyes:

That there is going to give new meaning to my next tuna sandwich.

I consider the recipes in books on authentic American cooking to have a kind of superiority to some sorts of cuisine. It’s generally believed that people in America eat out rather than cook at home - if it’s true maybe that’s where the problem is. I can’t see how the coleslaws, cornmeal, beans, chillis and granolas in American recipes can possibly be unhealthy. In fact, it’s the opposite. The food has taste as well, which is lacking (or has been) from a lot of English cooking.

A number of things have been overlooked in the search for an answer to this admittedly valid question.

Athena’s OP makes a pertinent observation about the role of children in food selections. However, it is not that kids prefer bland food. When you are young you have almost twice the density of taste buds on the surface of your tongue. The bland foods referred to, in fact, have a rather noticeable flavor to a child. This aforementioned density decreases as you get older. This is why most adults develop a preference for spicy and strong tasting dishes later in life. It is also the reason why childhood foods are remembered as having more intense flavors than they do today.

There is also a bit more to this issue than meets the eye. As families increasingly become dual income or divorced, parents use food as a reward or attention surrogate. I need only mention the current epidemic of obesity among American youth to enforce this point. Consequently, we see a dramatic shift towards foods that appeal to a child’s palate. The nearly one hundred varieties of sugary breakfast cereals in the supermarket are mute testimony to this fact.

Even worse is the near addiction that kids have for French fries and other deep fried foods. The rich body of these fried foods, combined with their relatively mild flavors serve as a dietary one-two knockout punch for the health of modern American children. Whether it is high fat or the empty calories of sugar laden foods, these “rewards” are nothing more than a slow poison for today’s kids.

Other factors are of even greater importance in the predomination of what we might call “bad food”. The advent of canned foods around the time of Napoleon (1810) was heralded as a stunning advance in food storage home economics. Not only were out of season edibles suddenly available in the middle of winter, but surplus harvests could be put up for consumption at a much later date. In these modern times we are acutely aware of the mediocre quality of bulk canned food products. Home canning, in its day, was a significant way to provide healthy and cost efficient nutrition for a household.

Almost fifty years later, after the invention of large scale refrigeration, did it become possible to have fresh fruit and vegetables distributed on a nationwide basis. Refrigerated rail cars played a critical role in this revolution. Frozen foods soon followed but home refrigeration was still not so wide spread as might be thought. Only one hundred years after the invention of canning did the home refrigerator begin to make its debut. Even so, due to it’s economy, the tradition of canning food for home consumption remained quite entrenched.

Not until the twentieth century was the shift over to mechanical refrigeration made. Even then, fresh fruits and vegetables had a much shorter shelf life due to poor handling and longer transit times by train. Even as they began to appear in the market place, bulk storage of frozen foods in stores still represented a substantial capital equipment investment and involved considerable operating costs. Other factors, such as refrigeration’s use of toxic ammonia hindered wide spread adoption by the commercial community.

Only in the modern age of agribusiness and interstate trucking has there been the luxury of fresh produce on demand. With this relatively recent development, public taste has begun to shift away from canned products. Nonetheless, it is reasonable to assume that America’s substantial elderly population retains a palate for canned foods and, perhaps, even finds them easier to eat. There is also the issue that a need for less shopping trips and the greater longevity of canned foods still play a role in their popularity with our aging citizens. The stupendous variety and heretofore unknown quality of today’s fresh produce, meat products and condiments are testimony to recent technological advances. Any shift in popular preferences will lag behind such developments.

All of this does not take into account another significant and possibly greater influence in the flavor and texture of food from fifty or more years ago. The fact remains that even today America has what is probably the most diverse population on earth. Turn of the century food production could not possibly accommodate this plurality of ethnic backgrounds and tastes. In order to arrive at an acceptable compromise, foods were more often than not bereft of any distinctive flavor or consistency. Instead, this could be provided by the housewife during the final stages of preparation at home. The stunning variety of food products available to us today stands as a monument to modern industry and productivity.

However modern an era we live in, there will still be throwbacks to far older traditions. Whether processed or well aged, many American cheeses are still dyed orange. Originally this was the hallmark of a single English production site. In the Cheddar Gorge, whey was strained along with flower petals to give it a unique and distinctive color that helped to protect the identity of their product. Even today, one is still able to find red dyed pistachios though few, if any, people are put off by a roasted nut of pale color. Pistachio ice cream is colored green although only the nut itself has that shade. In any Mexican market yellow dyes are sold to mimic the coloration of the astronomically more expensive saffron threads. Golden colored rice remains a sign of affluence and luxury to this day.

As to why there are such products as Miracle Whip and Bologna, it is safe to say that the second World War played a significant role in the development of low cost and economical foods. They remain second tier in their quality and flavor but have retained consumers out of habit more than a preference for fine flavor. And it is at this point that we come full circle to the original issues of pallid taste and tepid consistency. The inertia of uneducated American palates will perpetuate these food practices for some time to come. We can thank a new generation of chefs and their noble attempts to lift us out of the middle ages of food preparation and flavoring. To better understand all of the above topics, please read the wonderful tome “On Food and Cooking” by Harold McGee as published by Scribners.

Processed Cheese Food makes baby Jesus cry.

obfusciatrist and Zenster each have hold of a part of the answer.

To each of Athena’s points, obfusciatrist answers, in part, “Price”[sup]1[/sup]. Nobody took a bite of American cheese (which started out, incidentally, as a mild cheddar), and thought, “Boy, this is good!”; they thought, “Boy, I can buy enough of this to keep from starving to death!”

Zenster notes the use of food by, let us say to avoid any sharp retorts, less-than-ideally arranged families, for other purposes than providing adequate nutrition or a delightful culinary experience. One point that I feel was not emphasized enough is that preparing food from scratch can be a rather time-consuming process; much easier to toss a package of tater tots (the food product, not the poster) into the microwave, than to actually wash, peel, boil, mash, shape, and fry the tubers.

And, of course, Zenster is also correct in noting the rise of food distribution and preservation technology over the past two hundred years. We may remember that sausage, soup, and cheese are all pre-industrial attempts to preserve some fraction of the available bounty of the harvest (and the annual slaughter of pigs), even if imperfectly (in the case of cheese, of course, fermentation of the lactose was also important). The average 21[sup]st[/sup] century American will (hopefully) never see withered hams and rotten cabbages; OTOH my mother-in-law, now in her mid-70s, will still not eat yoghurt, because it reminds too much of the spoiled milk that, too often, was all her family had to put on the potatoes when she was young.

[sup]1[/sup][sub]Except for the mayonnaise/Miracle Whip thing. My wife likes it, too, and I don’t know why. Some things, evidently, Man Was Not Meant To Know, and this seems to be one of them.[/sub]

I love when people make pronouncements about their future children…just wait, Miss Gretchen…you’ll be the one eating Mac & Cheese and chicken fingers every night! :wink:

In our house the rule is to try one bite. If they don’t like it, they can have a bowl of cereal…and not chocolate sugar bombs, either. It has to be Cheerios or Kix.

LMAO!!! And I agree wholeheartedly!

American cheese was, at one time, the same as Cheddar. Patriots on this side of the pond stopped calling it by the British name. Now, we have no qualms about using the Brits name for the stuff, and American cheese has degraded to its present state.

But the deli American cheese DOES taste good, I say! Land O’ Lakes! Try it, it’s very subtle, but tangy and creamy.

On the other hand, it goes bad quicker. Oh well.

Heck, there’s LOTS of good American cheese. We invented Liederkranz in this country! We invented Saga blue!

And the little old cheesemakers of Wisconsin, Vermont, and Tillamook, Oregon, have created some very fine U.S. knockoffs of British Cheddar, Swiss Emmenthaler, German Bierkase, Italian Peccorino, French Raclette…the list goes on and on.

What is wrong with Kraft plastic cheese? If you looked at the hygenic practices of the french cheesemakers you would likely barf! I have been in Paris, I’ve seen the food stalls at Les Halles marketplace-the french loaves being carried under someone’s sweaty arpits-yeeech! So a lot of people like bland food-what’s your beef with that? We all don’t like calves brains, or marmite, or any one of a million disgusting items a that are referred to as “food”.
Get a life!!