Why do banks have big buildings in many downtowns?

Pooplic transport.

I like the way you think. Priorities.

I actually learned about this in a banking law class about 6 years ago.

Banks are highly regulated entities, and are limited in the types of businesses ventures that they can take part in - particularly with regard to risk. This means that they have traditionally had a limited amount of places to make money “on the side.” This was particularly true prior to the allowance of mixing investment banking with retail, or consumer, banking.

The allowance to enter into real estate operations when their own office was lcoated within the building was granted by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency if I remember correctly. This gave (consumer) banks the ability to enter into a new line of business and take advantage of the cheap capital that they have access to in order to make some non-correlated returns to compliment their banking portfolio.

I may be able to dig up some details from my Banking Law text when I get home, but don’t hold your breath. :slight_smile:

Exactly. When I worked in advertising, in downtown Chicago, my agency’s logo was on the top of our building. We didn’t own the building – it was actually owned by the Metropolitan Water District (which was the other major tenant in the building), but the agency wanted the visibility of the big sign. :slight_smile:

Even in places without much public transit, being downtown gives you access to a larger pool of workers. You say that you live in North Metropolis and don’t relish a one-hour commute to downtown. You might prefer the bank offices locate near your house. But what about the worker who lives in South Metropolis, and is now facing a two-hour commute to work at the bank? And in a lot of US cities, such a locational choice has racial and social equity implications.

For several decades, companies (particularly those needing lots of clerical workers) decamped for suburban office parks. They were (a little) cheaper to rent, but it turned out that there was no yeast out there to make the bread rise. The workers ate in the cafeteria or the nearby Taco Bell, and never had chance meetings or experiences that them an unexpected idea or flash of creativity. And certain types of creative talent, particularly the millennials who program and design, simply can’t be persuaded to work in a suburban office park. If you want them, you locate downtown.

Here in NSW Australia eg Sydney, Newcastle, Maitland, one can see the Victorian era (sandstone facade if not sandstone all round) bank buildings in these downtown areas, but the banks are not occupying them !

Well in some cases a newer bank, at least new to the state, has taken over occupancy… (there’s been a fad of state banks becoming nationwide, and of course, unifications, so thats why I say “new” … ). Now why would the new bank take over the old banks building ? Different question, but its the same answer. Its to get “brand recognition” from being prominent in the market place. its called “exposure” or “location location location”.

I have seen the building saying “Bank of NSW” with a sports goods shop in it, and next door, the “Westpac” (new name of Bank of NSW) operating right next door in a modern building. The Commonwealth Bank of Australia, CBA, was still open in its original building just 100 meters away.

Here’s the applicable law: 12 usc 29

Here’s the ruling in Brown v. Schleier:

Here’s a discussion of the applicable law by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (one of the primary bank regulators in the US) in an interpretive letter:

http://www.occ.gov/static/interpretations-and-precedents/jul05/int1034.pdf

But, there are limits:

http://www.occ.gov/news-issuances/congressional-testimony/2006/pub-test-2006-105-written.pdf