Why do British English speakers omit the definite article? "Go to Hospital!"

I’m not entirely sure to be honest. You might want to axe one of the Norn Iron dopers like Pushkin or Irishgirl. The usage is claimed to come from Gaelic and I’ve no knowledge of how many of the Ulster-Scots/Scots-Irish spoke Scots Gaelic and how many spoke Lallands/Scots-English.

My university had several distinct (though small; it was a small uni) colleges: the College of Arts & Sciences, the College of Engineering, the College of Architecture, etc. etc.

So my degrees say __________ ___________ University, College of Arts & Sciences. A friend’s degree says _____________ _____________ University, College of Engineering. And so on.

I’m born and bred American but I use the uni/university phrasing as well; it just makes sense to me in the context of the uni I went to.

No

I would interpret this along the lines of “I’ve got to swing by the school to pick something up”; not “I’ve got to attend class.” For that you’d leave off the “the”.

And, as everyone else has said, the problem (to U.S. Ears) with “Go to University” is not that “the” is missing, but that Brits use “university” where we use “college” to generically refer to higher education.
“She’s going to college” means “she’s gong to a school of higher learning” (one that most likely has “University” in the title instead of “college”).

Does Nurse know how to speak English? :wink: I think the op is referring to British English as spoken by professionals.

That kinda makes sense. Same thing for hospital? I’m amazed how far the language has changed since our last tea party. So much of it is bracketed in the form of expressions that don’t make literal sense. But somehow it all comes out in the wash and Bob’s your Uncle.

Obligatory Family Guy reference.

Importantly, the degrees in both cases are awarded not by the colleges, but by the university.

Naturally, there’s an exception to this new explanation, too, with independent degree-awarding institutions such as the Royal College of Music.

Almost all American universities are organized in this manner, with the university being subdivided into schools and colleges. Still, Americans say “I went to college at X.” Substituting “university” for “college” in this sounds distinctly like non-American usage.

I agree. It seems a lot of the threads around here lately have become big appeals to authority*. I think because some of the more obscure factual questions that have gotten answers here, people think the SDMB is a big fount of wisdom and insight. I also think some people just get some kind of kick out of asking really obscure, really specific questions (teachers praise and reward children for asking these types of questions so it stands to reason that some people would continue the practice of trying to come up with the most obscure, most specific questions well into adulthood.) The clear answer to a question like this, that should be obvious to anybody, is, “I dunno.”

*I realize that is not the precise, common accepted usage of the term appeal to authority, but use context to figure out what I mean here

I’m in the Mid-Atlantic area, and I do spend a lot of time in nursing homes as well as hospitals. I’ve never heard it here.

Well, I only bothered to specify because the person I quoted said:

Which is completely different than universities being divided into several/many colleges.

And yes, I know what the vast majority of Americans say. I’m just saying that I don’t and tried to explain my reasoning why (I don’t really look fondly upon my time at the College of Arts & Sciences. I look fondly at going to the university that housed that college. Makes sense to say uni instead of college to me. :: shrug :: I don’t care what anyone else calls it; it all means the same colloquial thing).

“Mr. Burkemsham?”
"Me Doctor?
“No, me Doctor, you Mr Burkemsham”
“But my wife, Doctor!”
“No, your wife patient. You Mr Burkemsham, me Doctor!”
“Mr Burkemsham?”
“Me sister?”
“No, she sister, you Mr Burkemsham”
“But my wife, sister…”
“No, your wife patient, she sister, you Mr Burkemsham, me Doctor!”
“No Doctor”
“No doctor, call ambulance, keep warm”

“Albatross!”

It reflects two different meanings of the word “college” as used in American English.

The primary meaning of “college” is as a synonym for “university.” They are, for the most part, interchangeable.

The second meaning of the word “college” is as a subdivision of “university.” But this meaning is highly dependent on context. In most cases, “college” means “university,” unless it’s already clear from context that you’re talking about a subdivision of a university.

One that always interests me is the American “I will write you” versus the more usual “I will write TO you”

“I will write you” always sounds so wrong, why did the ‘to’ vanish from American English?

On a similar note: Recommend me a XXXX jars my ears.

I think the word ‘to’ ran off with the word ‘be.’

“The car needs washed.”
“The chicken needs cooked.”

I think they’re both regionalisms (dropping the ‘to’ and ‘to be’), but I’ve never said either one.

ONe of the major ignorance-fighting things for which I am very grateful, and which has disabused me of a particular snobbery, is the fact that this board has taught me that British/Commonwealth English isn’t somehow better than US English. I’ve seen a lot of Americans get taught the reverse lesson too. Too many threads to list (or even find), but over the years, I’ve seen both sides meet and match claims with evidence to the contrary.

“Color” might still grate slightly to me, but I don’t find it somehow wrong any longer. But there are a few things which are demonstrably “better” on both sides - only a few, mind - and the Commonwealth usage regarding “hospital” and “THE hospital” is one which I will defend as such. This is simply because it provides greater subtlety and reduces ambiguity. I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but there are some Americanisms I prefer for the same reason.

Edited to add: I’ve thought of some American stuff I like - things like “Fall” for “autumn”. “Fall” is actually the original (it’s the Brits who changed), and although they are both equally useful words, “fall” is just straight out prettier.

I don’t think this is a regionalism. It’s standard English grammar.

I will give a present to you --> I will give you a present
I will write a letter to you --> I will write you a letter

How would a Kiwi say that they were going to send someone a text message?

“Ull sund yuw a tuxt mussige.”
:smiley: