Why Do Fast Food Restaurants Put So Much Ice In Their Drinks?

You missed that “water” usually means mineral water in Europe. Here, it means tap water. Even Americans who drink bottled water usually aren’t drinking mineral water. It’s a bit of a shock to take a drink, expecting tap water, and get mineral water. I almost spewed out the mineral water the first time it happened to me. I think that all the mineral water I’ve had tastes like really bad tap water- the kind that, if you had it coming out of your taps at home, you’d drink only bottled water. The fact that it doesn’t include ice, and is usually less cold than ice water, makes it worse- you can taste the off tastes better if the water isn’t as cold.

There’s also the fact that you pay for mineral water, but at most American restaurants, you get tap water (I think a few very fancy restaurants might ask what kind of water you want), and you don’t expect to pay for it.

Some cups are double duty for things like shakes, floats or slushies.

I am not a taste expert but doesn’t warmer(un-ice cold) soda leave you mouth feeling dryer after you drink some because of how much sugar is in there? Maybe its just that people are trying to trick their mouthes into thinking they got rehydrated better then they did?

Ok, since I wanted to know what the 2 other lines were for as well, at risk of looking stupid, the other two lines are for how much ice cream to put in? Or slush stuff?

Dang, hit submit to soon.

Not knowing where the other two lines are located, and take a shake from a McDonalds. Its not real ice cream and milk (I assume), so they fill up the first half of the mix to a line, then the 2nd half, mix it and you have a milkshake?

ouryL. I’m sure you know the use of the “putz” smiley in General Questions if frowned upon. Thanks.

samclem GQ moderator

As someone who loves a lot of ice in their drinks (although I don’t drink soda any longer), I could never find a FF establishment who WOULD put a lot of ice in! I would always get a gratuitous sprinkle of cubes, followed by lukewarm fountain soda that proceeded to melt the small bit of ice that was there to being with.

VCNJ~

I had actually meant “sparkling mineral water” where I had written “mineral water.”

The middle line is where the ice is supposed to go to for an iced tea (because it’s held at room temp, and so it melts some of it.) Every McD’s that I’ve ever worked at (seven by my count, but some of those were just for a day or 2 while they needed help) fills it all the way up for iced tea.

The top line is the fill line for whatever beverage it is.

Let’s try again, shall we?

I had actually meant “sparkling mineral water” where I had written “sparkling water.”

In nearly all the fast food places around here, they give you a cup and you fill it with ice & pop yourself at a self-serve drink counter. So you can put as much or as little ice as you want.

I can’t remember the last fast food place that actually dispensed the drink for me.

Lemons only cost that much at retail grocery stores. I buy mine at a restaurant supplier for $2.50 per 5# bag.

They don’t mix anything, unless they’ve changed the shakes since the last time I ordered one (which is possible; it’s been years). They just fill the cups with premixed shake “stuff” from the shake machine.

It’s the same procedure at my local junk food place. You put in as much ice as you want.

Some people like a lot of ice. My mother always insisted on extra ice because she took a long to finish her sodas and wanted the icy freshness as long as possible (at the cost, of course, of watering down.)

Incidentally, drinking soda slowly is one of the worst things you can do to your teeth.

Well, most of the fast food places in the malls that I visit tend not to be able to let people serve themselves drinks (because they don’t have space to put out a separate drink counter), so they fill your drinks themselves.

And there’s also a Wendy’s that I visit that’s not in a mall where they don’t have a drink counter, so they fill your drink themselves.