Why do Germans at Oktoberfest sing John Denver's 'Take Me Home, Country Roads'?

I don’t think that is particularly surprising. It is an American, anti-capitalist song. It makes perfect sense that the Soviet regime should have encouraged its popularity in Russia, and once something like that gets entrenched in popular culture, it can stick around long after the conditions that first fostered its popularity have changed.

By contrast, I can’t think at all why “Take Me Home Country Roads” should have struck such a chord in Germany, no more than a million other catchy songs of nostalgia.

Wasn’t it actually Olivia Newton-John who had the biggest hit with it, though? She has German connections. Her grandfather was German physicist Max Born, one of the fathers of quantum mechanics.

I always wondered how the f*** this song got to be a popular German drinking song. My friends said that even people who spoke no English would yell out the part that’s missing in that version.

Here’s an example from some Germans in Mallorca.

There are some interesting things about John Denver and “Take Me Home, Country Roads”. John Denver was mostly of German ancestry. He was born in Roswell, New Mexico (as was Demi Moore, so maybe there is something alien about those two). He grew up in many places since his father was an Air Force officer. Eventually John Denver settled in Colorado:

In fact, the song has little in common with the state of West Virginia except the title:

It was written in a folk club in Washington, D.C. by Denver, Bill Danoff, and Taffy Nivert. Danoff and Nivert had just gotten back from a family reunion in Gaithersburg, Maryland, which was more rural then than it is today. Specifically, they were thinking about Clopper Road there. The locations mentioned in the song are actually mostly located in Virginia rather than West Virginia. Denver, Danoff, and Nivert didn’t know much about West Virginia.

Sing it at your own drunken risk: John Denver karaoke sparks Thai killing spree. Eight dead in the end, including the perp’s brother-in-law.

“‘When I began shooting nobody pleaded for his life because they were all drunk’,” he said after his arrest."

Indeed. “Take Me Home, Country Roads” features prominently in the Japanese animated movie Whisper of the Heart.

Maybe, but I think the real reason is simply the tune. It sounds like a Russian folk song.

And “Whisper of the Heart” is by Miyazaki, the anime director best known in … West Virginia! Coincidence … or CONSPIRACY!!!

I think this is the version that made the song so popular. Proceed at your own risk:

The only time I’ve seen this activity before was old footage of Coney Island or the crazy unsafe rides. I guess drinking lots of beer makes it safer somehow.

I don’t really know how to respond in this thread other than to say John Denver was the shit.

As a kid going to camp in the late 1970s and early 1980s, John Denver was everywhere. Leaving On a Jet Plane was often played over the camp PA in the morning. TMHCR, and Thank God I’m a Country Boy were often sung by the entire camp after lunch or dinner. The songs are easy to learn and have a timeless, universal quality to them that almost anyone can relate to.

I did not know that was a John Denver song. Always thought Peter, Paul and Mary wrote it. Live and learn.

It’s also ludicrously popular in Ireland. I guess it’s just an American schlager song is it?

Anyone else think it’s suspicious how you never see John Denver and Hayao Miyazaki in the same room together?

No, just me? Okay then.

This thread is very enlightening to me. I thought Denver’s music was buried as deeply as his body – I can’t remember the last time I heard any of his tunes on the radio. I had no idea he had such an international following.

Particularly that song, this Jamaican version of it is amazing.

I have some alternate lyrics for next year’s Oktoberfest.

Almost Heaven
Schleswig-Holstein
Kaiser Wilhelm
Lederhosen fashions!

Life is Old there,
Older than the Zee!
Younger than the mountains
in Southern Germany.

Autobahn
Take me on
To the Place
to Goosestep On.
Western Poland
into Russia
Take me On
Autobahn
I hear his voice, in the morning hour he heils me.
Der radio reminds me of my oath of loy-al-ty
And drivin’ on to Moscow, I get feelin’
Shoulda been retreatin’
yes-ter DAY!
Yes-ter DAY!

Autobahn…

Since his ashes were scatted somewhere in the Rockies, your misconception kinda makes sense. :slight_smile:

The focus on lyrics is something I often find quite baffling. The reason the song is popular is that it’s catchy and easy to sing a capella while drunk. Certain feelings of generalized *Heimweh *perhaps add a little to the appeal, but I can assure you that nobody at Oktoberfest gives a shit about West Virginia :slight_smile:

Boyo Jim, that was pretty funny!

It’s Studio Ghibli, but it was directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, not Miyazaki.

I have no idea how famous he is in West Virginia…

Yeah…sorry, can’t blame that one on the Germans. With much shame: Hermes House Band is Dutch:(.