Why do I have to restart my smartphone once a week?

On Android phones, it’s possible to use third-party texting apps (Google Voice being the most popular) that do send texts over the data, not cell, connection.

It’s what I do…but yeah, if I’m in a 3G deadzone, I can’t receive texts…I can still send them, I just have to go into my normal texting app, not the Google Voice app…but since GV “takes over,” for lack of a better word, the incoming texts, there’s no way to get any response.

No, but everyday I look in the mirror at a frustrated cell phone tech who has seen a battery pull/power cycle fix the buggiest of smartphones.

I haven’t rebooted by iPhone 4 in 82 days, and my MacBook in 75.

My Windows phone reboots itself at random times and then hangs in the middle of the reboot, requiring a battery pull to get it started again.

But you’re not really sending a text. You’re sending a data packet to a server, which sends a text on your behalf. It sure LOOKS like you’re sending a text…but I don’t think it’s what you’re doing from a protocol perspective.

Disclaimer: I’m a baseband guy, not a radio guy…so there may be some nuances in the spec that I’m not aware of.
-D/a