Why do I suck at pot roast?

I also vote down using rump or round as a pot roast. It’s a fibrous, uber-lean cut and can stay tough and dry forever. Next time, get shoulder (chuck) or brisket. Simmer it at a low temp for a long time, like at least three hours. My rule is three hours and twenty minutes at 320 degrees, and I like to do it in the oven in a covered enameled cast iron dutch oven.

I take the opposite approach, I use my pressure cooker, and (after browning it) I cook it for about 45-90 minutes (depending on size) in that, with lots of carrots, potatoes, quartered onions, and whole garlic cloves strewn around it.

Let the pressure cooker cool down for another 45-90 minutes. Pull out the meat, veggies. Pull apart the meat (an easy task), and let it continue to soak in some of the juice.

Get rid of most of the fat, thicken the rest of the juice with cornstarch or arrowroot.

Serve.

Another thing, rump roast is a very lean and particularly “stringy” muscle with much longer fibers, as compared to a cross cut, chuck roast (tradiitional pot roast cut). After that short of a cooking time it will seem very, very, toigh as it has contracted in cooking. Give it several hours to braise and it will relax and get very tender, then it will be fine, I guarantee.

Re: Liquid

It does seem like a bit much liquid ingredients- one must also consider when taking into account the roast, that it will exude from itself upwards of a 1/2 cup of drippings depending on size and fat content.

Here is what my wife does, and it works wonderfully:

1 3-5 lb Pot Roast(my wife uses Beef Round Rump Roast)

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 package of dried onion soup mix

1 1/4 cups water

1. Cut the roast in half.

2. Put it in the crock pot.

3. Pour the mixture of cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup and water(pre-mixed) over the roast.

4. Cook it on high setting for 3-4 hours or on Low for 8 hours.

5. Turn it over once in awhile.

It comes out perfect every time.

:slight_smile:

Stop opening the crock pot. Don’t worry about the temperature. Cook it at least 6 hours on low. Pot roast cannot be rushed. I don’t add the veggies till the last half of cooking. Use chuck roast. Brown it. Be patient.

I use chuck roast in the oven about 1/2 covered in water with a pack of dry au jus mix. Add whatever veggies you like. Cover the pan or casserole dish with tin foil. Cook on 300 for 3 hours and remove the foil and continue cooking for another hour.

4 hours of simmering is as fast as you are going to get a decent pot roast.

1. Buy largest, cheapest roast you can get.
  2. Put in crock pot.
  3. Add veggies (small potatoes, celery, carrots) if you wish.
  4. Put entire package of dried onion soup on top.
  5. Pour in maybe one small can of beef broth - no more!
  6. Turn on low and forget about it for 10 to 12 hours, and DO NOT LIFT LID, PERIOD!

We have been doing that for years - never had a bad roast - meat falls apart with barely a touch of knife or fork and the whole house smells great those last few hours! I will usually prepare it all and put in fridge, then put it in crock pot and turn it on before going to bed (midnight or so)…then it is ready for lunch the next day.

We always get the biggest cut of roast we can find, as when you slice it thin after it cools, it makes great roast beef sandwiches!

Thanks for all the tips everyone. After five hours it did indeed magically transform into a tender, moist pot roast. Yum! :slight_smile:

Mine is well loved by everybody who has tried it. I use a 2-3 pound roast, whatever’s cheap, brown it, place in the crock pot with a couple teaspoons beef Better Than Bouillon (comes in a jar next to bouillon cubes and whatnot), a couple tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, around 1/3 cup soy sauce, a bay leaf, a handful of whole peppercorns, a couple tablespoons of dried minced garlic, a tablespoon or so of dried rosemary, and enough water to almost cover the roast. Cook on low around 7 or 8 hours. All amounts are approximate, I don’t really measure. I know I have it right when it smells AWESOME in a few hours.

I have cooked as much as 8 pounds of beef in a 6.5 quart crock pot with good results.

I always cover the meat in liquid, in a crock pot that isnt necessary but…
I put the meat in the night before and let things sit over night in the fridge so I like to be sure nothing gets dried out.
(note you cant add veggies when you have that much meat)

for smaller amounts I add taters/carrots/onion to the crock pot to cover the base, add browned meat, then add more veggies to surround and perhaps cover the meat.
one huge tip for those of you who like your pot roast. Save some of the broth, with the amount of liquid I use I save maybe a pint or more and freeze it, then with the next roast I use that for the broth and so on. I am not sure how many times the current batch has been used to flavor pot roast but I can tell you its essentially liquid beefy goodness, as soon as that stuff heats up the house smells amazing. also you can use the extra broth for french dips or pretty much anything you want more beef flavor for.

I was going to recommend a similar recipe. It’s incredibly easy, and has won raves whenever I’ve made it.

I use a tri-tip roast and brown a bit on each side; otherwise just dump everything into the Crock-Pot and let it cook, preferably on low for at least 8 hours. If you like, put a few slices of potato, carrot, and celery in during the last hour or so of cooking. It’s amazingly good for very little effort.

Oddly enough I did one tonight. I use an enameled Dutch Oven in the oven ( duh ) at 325 for roughly an hour per lb of roast, plus a smidge. This one was 4.47 lbs and was in for about 4 3/4 hours - came out perfect, fall-apart tender and smothered in gravy.

Dredged in flour/fresh-ground blackpepper/murray river salt and browned in unsalted butter on the stovetop. For the liquid I use the old familiar can of mushroom soup/onion soup packet method mixed with white wine ( cheap Chilean Chardonnay ) - about two cups to start, another 1-2 cups when adding the veggies for the last hour or so ( carrots, turnips and yukon gold potatoes this go around ). I like lots of gravy :).

I’ve never had a fail yet with the above method. Tender, moist and delicious. But I do second ( or twentieth ) always sticking with a good chuck roast - I never use anything else for pot roast. A dry pot roast is an abomination.

My secret is the gravy. I always do a medium roast for several hours at 350F in the oven.

Add some Kitchen Bouquet,to the Drippings and the 3/4 cup of water that you add to the well seasoned roas at start. Garlic Salt, Salt and Pepper… The drippings form and scrape, some flour and water shaken en jar, reduced while I’m making the mashed. A bit of Salt and Pepper to season… Very simple but well cooked gravy. No hint of the artificial as is often too prominent in American gravy.

OK, I wan’t entirely honest, but this is my duality. I explain, but never give away my entire secret recipe. In this case, it is potato water… you must add the starchy water of the boiled potatoes to the gravy. It just doesn’t have the coherence, body, shine, or flava, if not.

Usually, about a 1/2 cup to a cup of potato water. I like aromatics for flavor in my gravy. Never Garlic cloves, just the powder. Carrots and potatoes, sometimes, onions, never celery.

Try a little Kitchen Bouquet. I love that stuff!! But yours sounds positively divine.

It’s not so much sealing in flavor as it is creating flavor with the browning (which may or may not technically be a Maillard reaction, depending on what source you consult. I’ve always called it a Maillard reaction, but Wikipedia notes that it techically isn’t, since it doesn’t involve a reaction with a reducing sugar [although the dredging flour may make this a maillard reaction, after all]. Doesn’t really matter. Just remember that brown = meaty flavor.)

Also, make sure to give the meat a good brown. Some people I’ve noticed are a little timid about browning and get the meat to more of a gray state. Get the pan real hot, and give it a nice crusty sear, something like this. Personally, I don’t flour the meat, I get my pan scorching hot, pat dry the meat, and sear away. If you’re using flour, you’re not going to want to get quite as hot as your flour will burn.

But I’m guessing you have a pretty good sear, given that you are using flour. I don’t see any reason why your pot roast should be anything less than beefy. Are you using enough salt? Lack of salt will often make a soup, stew, or roast taste “less meaty” than it should. Are you using too much liquid and diluting the flavor of the gravy? You could also try a bouquet garni (a sachet of herbs such as thyme, parsley, and bay leaves tied together either with string or the parsley stem) to add a little savory herb flavor to the roast. You could put a sprig of rosemary into your bouquet garni, as well, as it goes well with the beef.

An old Julia Child trick is to add the flour after browning, but before adding the liquid. Place it in a relatively fast oven (450 degrees, maybe) for about 4 or 5 minutes, stir, then place back in the oven for 4 or 5 minutes. This will begin to brown the flour. Remove the pot, reduce the oven to 300, add the liquid & stir, place a lid on it, and pop it back into the oven for several hours.

That’s how Beef Bourguinon is done in* Mastering the Art of French Cooking*. Excellent method.

Nope. Pulverized gingersnaps.

Really? Whoa.

Regards,
Shodan

Yeah…I live right out there on the edge.

Actually gingersnap gravy is pretty common - you see it a lot in German cooking, and it is the thickener for the sauerbraten gravy. Give it a whirl.