Why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

The next time I go on a suicide mission, I’m not only not going to wear a helmet, I’m not going to wear any clothes or eat or drink or sleep for weeks on end… why bother? I’m going to die anyway.

daniel p bostaph:

Oh, good … this gives me a chance to ask what the heck WAG stands for.

Actually, I mentioned several things, so I’m putting together my answer from several sources. I’m sure of everything I said, with one possible exception: I asserted that the piloted V1 was never intended to be a kamikaze craft.

I’m sure that the Hanna Reich version was used only for test purposes (to solve the stability problem), but I may been too quick to conclude that the piloted V1 was never intended to be flow as a weapon.

Do you know differently? Or are you talking about something else?

Mr. Campbell: WAG means Worthless Ass Guess- a non-endangered species that breeds in vast herds on this website, so don’t feel too bad!

The source I cite explicitly states that this was a proposed suicide aircraft, never actually used in combat. 3 roles were intended:[list type=1]
[li]destruction of supply & troop transport ships at sea.[/li][li]destruction of heavy bombers in mid-air, by ramming & explosives.[/li][li]destruction of important targets in Britain; i.e.:Parliment, weapons factories, etc.[/li][/list]

YO-HO, ME HEARTIES! ALL HANDS ON DECK FOR THE MUSICAL BATTLE AT SEA!