Why Do Liberals Support Affirmative Action?

I guess the question comes down to whether it’s the responsibility of employers (or one’s job competitors) to compensate for these broader inequities rather than simply be colorblind within their own purview.

It’s going to take some convincing before I’ll agree that conservatives are deliberately trying to preserve the racial status quo rather than rejecting responsibility for it.

If you took the time to read my first link, you would be much the wiser.

Of course it is a zero sum game. If someone gets a preference in hiring or admissions, that pushes a more qualified candidate down. Quibbling about group definitions and different situations does not change this fact. It amazes me that people on this board can believe that international trade is zero (or negative!) sum and affirmative action is not.

I did a google search for “greatest beneficiary of affirmative action” and the results are not bulletproof but…

http://www.google.com/search?q=greatest+beneficiary+of+affirmative+action&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA

Am I missing something or did you just reply to a claim that there is such a thing as race by asking if blacks are dumb? Is the idea that the prejudice is actually against dumb people?

Here are some numbers to consider.

UVA student profile – 10.8% Asian, 64.8% White, 8.5% African American Link

Duke student profile – 28.8% Asian/Pacific Island, 9.3% African American, 57% White Link

MIT student profile – 26% Asian, 9% African American, 38% Caucasian Link
NYU –student profile – 27% Asian, 3.7% African American, 51.3% Caucasian Link

Are there any real numbers to support the claim that Asians or White males have been economically damaged by affirmative action?

For starters, your own numbers:

Stanford and Cal are similar in many ways. They are both highly ranked and located near eachother. Many many people apply to both schools. The big difference is that Cal is public and Stanford is private. As a public university in California, Cal is no longer permitted to practice affirmative action; thus their extraodinarily high percentage of Asian students. (A google search confirms that enrollment of Asian freshman at Cal has jumped dramatically since affirmative action was banned at Cal.)

Thus, it’s reasonable to conclude that in the absence of affirmative action, Asian enrollment at Stanford would be a lot closer to the figure for Cal. It follows that there are a good number of Asians out there who were rejected from Stanford because of affirmative action. Is that an economic harm? I would say it probably is. It’s a lot easier to get a high-paying job or gain admission to a top professional school if you went to a place like Stanford. Certainly it seems likely that if top schools discriminated against blacks, most affirmative action supporters would agree that there would be economic harm.

You’re missing something.

The idea is to establish if “race” is a valid category. Many on the SDMB deny that it is, at least in some circumstances.

Would you like to have a crack at it?

Regards,
Shodan

I already acknowledged that Asians may be negatively impacted by AA in college admissions, so this is not the gotcha ya moment you might have been wishing for.

Not it doesn’t, or at least, not necessarily. If you want to assert that this happens with respect to admissions, okay, at least you brought a cite. But AA doesn’t always push more qualified candidates down. It simply allows other criteria (like race, gender, etc) to be factored in the decision process when all other things are equal or sufficient. To assert otherwise, requires some cites.

Actually, Maeglin has already provided some abstracts that say the opposite -

So the abstract seems to be saying that jobs and admissions are being shifted even when all other things are not equal.

So the burden of proof remains with you.

Regards,
Shodan

Nice, Shodan.

Now . . . how about a cite for the fact that the Pope is Catholic.

Let’s go back to what I just wrote a few minutes ago.

Here’s a newsflash, ladies and gentlemen. The US has never been a meritocracy. Networking has always been used to give folks an unearned advantage. Qualifications have always been more than numbers and letters on a sheet of resume paper. It is only when we talk about Affirmative Action that the reality of business as usual is ignored in favor of unrealistic ideals.

My main quibble in this thread has been the overemphasis of blacks when we talk about AA. Women–white women in particular since they make up the largest body of people who benefit from AA–hardly even merit an honorable mention in threads like this. Two pages in and we still haven’t seen anyone defend why blacks are deserving of all the scrutiny.

I’m not interested in debating AA as a practice. I’m just pointing out that the more the anti-AA brigrade complains about blacks stealing all the jobs and admission slots–without expanding their attention to women and other ethnicities…including white males that get a handup through social networking and legacy admissions–the more they look like the very people the program was intended to counteract. Don’t like this opinion? Tough. Consider it constructive criticism.

Maybe it’s because the OP specifically asked about affirmative action for blacks?

What makes blacks so special that they need to be singled out? Not just this time, but essentially every time the AA question is raised?

Well, OK, let’s.

Followed by a couple of paragraphs having nothing to do with your allegation.

I guess I will have to assume that you feel yourself to have been adequately refuted, and are now willing to concede the point. If not, maybe you could actually address it, rather than merely repeating it.

Actually, it sounds a bit more like dodging the question.

I am not quite sure of your point here. You seem to be including white males using networking and so forth as an example of AA, but you then say that this is what you want to see “counteracted”. So apparently AA is OK for minorities but not for white males. Is that what you are saying?

Are you saying that AA in the form of networking only happens “all other things being equal”?

Not clear here.

Regards,
Shodan

That’s a question for the OP, not me.

AA is intended to counteract institutional sexism and racism, and their vestiges.

When folks decry the unearned benefits that AA gives blacks, while ignoring, pardoning, or denying the unearned benefits given to other white people (either AA for women, legacy admissions, networking…all of which disproportionately help whites) then that paints the impression that a troubling anti-black bias underlies the anti-AA movement. This impression becomes even stronger when Latinos–yet another group that outnumbers blacks and receives unearned benefits through AA–aren’t put on the chopping block, either. (And in fact sometimes treated like one of AA’s victims!) The focus is always on black people. And when folks like me ask why and receive no good answers, that impression only becomes cemented.

Of all the things being argued in this thread, no one has argued that I’m wrong about the black fixation thing. Could it be that we all agree on something for once?

No, I don’t agree with that. My general sense is that peoples’ focus in discussing affirmative action depends more on the context. For example, in the context of things like math and science professorships; law firm partnerships; and certain other jobs, I hear a lot of people complaining about affirmative action towards women.

YWTF raises an excellent point. Preferential treatment for blacks isn’t the only reason AA should be abolished.

Why should a Mexican whose family has never before been north of the Rio Grande be able to come to Georgia and benefit from AA?

Why should Iraqis and Syrians who just got off the plane be able to use AA to qualify for small business loans from the government?

Why should a Jamaican or a Somali whose family has never set foot in America before his arrival be given prefential treatment in government employment or for a government contract?

AA and other minority set asides are a racial spoils system imposed on America by the left. That’s the reason it should be abolished.

Why shouldn’t they?

Ok, a few points here.

First, a number of folks have said something along the lines of “there’s no such thing as race.” Whether or not that is scientifically and/or genetically true I’m not equipped to argue. But when we talk about blacks, asians, latinos, or whomever, we are talking about fairly easily defined groups who are defined based on appearance and to some small degree cultural background. To claim that race doesn’t exist as some sort of argument against AA, or to score some sort of gotcha ya point against AA supporters is silly.

Second (and I see that you with the face has already mentioned this), the idea that people get jobs and into colleges based solely on quantifiable attributes is just plain wrong. Almost never has that been the case. If that were so, we’d never need admissions departments in colleges, and HR departments could run job applications through a calculator and hire that way. To assume that people with better numbers are being robbed of jobs by AA is wrong, because people with better numbers lose out because of qualitative reasons all the time.

Third, and maybe most importantly, does anyone here actually know how AA works? I sure don’t. Is it applied differently at different organizations? I ask because there seems to be an awful lot of supposition about how AA works that just doesn’t ring true. I imagine that in some people’s minds a typical new hire decision might go like this:

Well, Smith has a stellar resume, has won accolades in his field, is funny, thinks on his feet, and is just the man for the job. Too bad that Jenkins also applied. He was fired from his last job for laziness, doesn’t have training or experience in our software, and seemed like an asshole, but he’s black, so we have to hire him instead.

. . . and I just don’t buy it. Even if that sort of thing happened occasionally, or at one specific place that had a piss-poor implementation of AA, I don’t think that anyone in their right mind is arguing in favor of that situation.

I’m a white male, and have mixed feelings about AA. In general, though, I feel that it’s a good thing. Most of the upper and middle class in this country are white. I feel that that is a huge problem because it is in everyone’s best interests that the opportunity for wealth, success, and stability be as readily available as possible for everyone. Helping a group that is clearly disenfranchised in this regard, for whatever reason, can only benefit society as a whole.

And so, the black vice-principal (who is definitely qualified for the job) might be a better choice because he can stand as an example of success for a group of kids who might not really know what success looks like, or who might never have imagined that sort of success being something possible for them to achieve.

I do agree with those who feel that economics plays a big part in this as well, but in the interests of providing a stable and self-sustaining middle-class black community, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing if AA benefits black people who already come from privileged backgrounds.