Why do my cheeks hurt intensely on the first (and only first) bite of certain foods?

It’s so nice to find this board and find out there are others with the same problem…is there a name for it? I did ask my dentist and he had no idea what I was talking about.
He thought it had something to do with my mouth being dry from sleeping…till I told him I can drink all morning…coffee.juice etc without pain…it’s the first food I eat. It doesn’t matter if it’s citrus or other.it’s the first food in the morning. Just happy to find this and know my sister and I aren’t alone…we both have it and our Mom did too.

its 2017
and still, i feel the pain :slight_smile: every 1st goddamn bite

How funny! I was just telling my husband about that happening to me. He looked at me like I was nuts. It happens to me with dry roasted peanuts or honey roasted peanuts. All I have to do is pick up the jar and start opening it and I get the pain. I can’t think of any other food it happens with. Crazy

It may be that pavlovic conditioning is stronger when your deep subconscious part of the brain is addicted to chocolate. You might consciously choose something else, but theres part of your brain salivating for chocolate only.

I get this pain. At first bite, sometimes even just at the thought of certain foods. Chocolate and dill pickles are a sure thing it will hurt. Anything can do it tho.

Here’s the thing. I had mumps when I was a kid, on both sides. Back then the test to see if a kid had mumps was to show them a pickle and if their jaw hurt they had it. Seems connected.

So how many of you have had mumps?

Iss called First Bite Syndrome

Me tooo!!! I’ve been wondering about this as well
I think it is the salivary glands I think the pain is caused by an abrupt introduction to the nerve signals that are sent to brain after tasting stuff. I tried an experiment to see when and why it happens and it happens when I put food directly in the back of my mouth near the glands. It doesn’t happen if you taste the food with the tip or middle of your tongue first to introduce the the food to your brain and then the glands will slowly release saliva and amylase and stuff.

…Because your body assumes you’re smart enough not to eat any more bites! Why devote more resources to the pain receptors than necessary? I’m just kidding - I don’t know why we all do this, I eat something and it’s so salty I can’t stand it, and then I taste some more just to be sure. Or it’s too hot but I don’t believe it and I try it again.