Why do names disappear?

I agree :slight_smile:

Does anybody name their baby boy Michael these days? My generation (early 30’s) is saturated with Mikes. In school, I had three classmates named Mike, and in my current place of employment (maybe 15 people) there are three more, two of whom are of similar age to myself.

Some day, Michael is going to be the default old geezer name.

According to the links above, Michael is still very popular.

My father’s name was Jack, and he spent his entire life telling people that it really was his legal name, not a nickname. Any time his name was on anything legal or official, there was a good chance they “corrected” it to John.

A politico in Indy named Noble Pearcy ran for prosecutor. His ads said something like, “Yes, he’s tough. You had to be tough, growing up on the south side with a name like Noble.”

Biblical names, and those from other holy books, will always be with us.

My step-brother’s chum is named Reynolds. His parents didn’t want him to ever be known by a nickname. I guess they hadn’t met any of you Canadian Rennies. :wink:

Works of fiction bring little spurts of naming. I imagine there are tykes named Harry and Hermione. Adrian Monk still worships his late wife Trudy, so there might be some Gertrudes out there somewhere.

Yeah, maybe that was an exaggeration but it’s fallen way, way off. When you punch Jennifer or Melissa in the Baby Name Wizard (yes, yes, I realize it’s already been linked several times, cool your jets. :wink: ), it’s shows a sharp drop-off. They’re not a teenagers names anymore and definitely out of fashion.

Nice one, but what about this.

It just begs to be played with because it shows naming trends in bar chart form encompassing the years 1890-2000 for the US. All figures given are per million births.

Gertrude peaked at 8,455 in 1890 before declining to nothing. Also in 1890, 67 boys were curiously given the same name. Ester was never that common anyway but Esther topped out at 6,445 in 1900 before experiencing a similar decline to that of Gertrude, albeit less sharply. Ethel, like Gertrude, peaked in 1890 with 13,364 before a steady decline to almost nothing.

Judy follows an interesting path, presumably due to the popularity of Judy Garland from the 1930s to the 1950s. Mickey (Rooney) is upsides Judy on the trend but with significantly lower numbers. I have a brother called Sean, certainly named for Sean Connery, who would seem to have influenced US parents as well. If you play around with names of well known figures, and look at the birth statistics around the time they were famous, the results can be predictable (but sometimes not).

This site also invites you to calculate the exact name of your perfect lover but in my case it came up with an error condition.

Yes, which is why I would expect that Melissa and Jennifer will go the way of Thelma and Janet.

My daughter will be very shocked to hear that the name “Esther” has disappeared.

She would also be surprised to see this picture ascribed to her! :stuck_out_tongue:
(The link just went to a sign-in page with that on it)

Huh…the link worked when I previewed.

I’ll try moving the picture.

Ha! I’m lazy and I just scrolled through the thread looking for underliney bits.

It might be logging you in automatically? Maybe there’s a different link, for sharing the picture, offered somewhere else on the page.

Jennifer had a good long run, though. My name (Suzanne) seems to be dying out, after being so wildly, wildly popular that I once lived between two other Suzannes (grade school). If you add the Susan variation, it was even more popular. On at least three occasions in my life I have had best friends with the same name as mine. That is, three different Suzannes although, technically, one of them, the current one, is a Susanna who goes by Sue.

But the youngest Sue I know now is 30.

This should be a proper link to Esther.

Clark and Lois are on the way out, obviously.

Bruce & Lex are still going strong, though.

Well done! (Condescension not intended, honest…)

Hopefully, given what (according to this thread) has happened to ‘Esther’ in America, she’ll grow up with a name which is pretty much unique. Well done :slight_smile: (But also tell her the whole overgrown-wasp-beanbag thing is a bit freaky…)

Well my daughter’s name fame peaked in 1910. She was sort of named after my husband’s grandmother’s best friend but actually it was because I liked the name and it wasn’t at all common (see why below). It is still in the lower ranks of the lower region of popularity. And she likes it. YEAH!

The name we chose for our son however, seems to have achieved a new high right around when we named him. He was named after my Grandfather to the dismay of all family members alive at the time. They thought he would get a terrible nickname (Grand’das) that he would never get rid of. This did not occur, his sister is the only one who calls him by that nickname and only in jest.

Both names are of course “oldy” type names.

I personally have a name that was sooooo popular in the 50’s that there were 3 of us that were in the same 25 student classroom for 8 years. Not only was my first name popular but it seems that all of our parents tuned into the same frequency and gave us all the same middle name too (yes all three of us in grammar school shared the same middle name too). To this day if I meet a woman my age with my first name chances are we have the same middle name too. How creepy is that?

I was actually taken aback one day last week to meet a woman whose 14-year-old daughter was named Lisa. After growing up knee deep in Lisas, it was kind of odd to realize that I hadn’t heard of one under age 20 or so in years.

Not being racist or stereotypical by ANY means, so don’t even play that card; but why are there a lot of African Americans naming their kids names that are completely out of sync with the rest of the world; Like (and these are names I’ve heard) JuJu, Moisha, Bendalay, Nanunu, Namoia, Shinequa, Calundas, Baqua…etc. Where the hell are they getting these names? I mean, I’m all for taking random letters and cramming them into a few syllables for a unique name in Dungeons and Dragons, but some of the names I hear (to be different) just make me raise an eyebrow.

Names for my kids some day:
Dyraius (Girl), Everette (Boy)

Both RPG characters at one point in time. I fully expect my children to be capable of saving the world with sword/shield (or in Everette’s case, claws and teeth) by puberty. Nod