Why do other countries dub English language movies/tv?

I worked with someone who was studying Spanish dub scripts. Historically films were dubbed in order to control the translation. If they were simply subtitled, than anyone who understood the original language would know what the original line was (the woman who was studying this was Spanish by the way).

This was the same situation in Portugal (which was under dictatorship for longer than Spain).

Today, most people in Spain that I know prefer subtitles for dramatic movies, etc because they want to hear the original emotion of the actors. For TV, comedies they prefer dubbin because it’s more casual and you head hurts less after coming home from work and sitting down to relax. In Spain there are many actors/actresses who are famous in their own right for dubbing (and of course many are fluent in the language they are dubbing from).

Also there are of course jokes which just don’t translate so a literal translation might leave the viewer not knowing what just happened, so a good interpretative translation can add to the continuity of an exchange.

I suggested to my friend that she compare the dubbed scripts of Spanish and Portuguese scripts, to compare the censorship. I don’t know what ever came of that but I’m curious.

Downfall - very good but not dubbed just subtitles

I think the bottom line is, based on my experience with Pixar and other big-screen animated movies, that given the choice, Israeli viewers over the age of, say, 10, overwhelmingly prefer subtitles over dubbing.

Absolutely. And I’d say 10 is an upper limit, rather than an average or minimum.
Basically, dubbing is for kids who can’t read subtitles fast enough. Period, end of story.

Right, they released both versions… I think the idea was that artsy adults would see the subtitled version, and kids would see the dubbed version.