WHY do People "Fix" Old Cars With Bondo?

Most restorations I know of only use Bondo if they’re nothin’ special to begin with. Our Mustang will never see a bit of Bondo.

Pennsylvania has an emissions check and a safety inspection every year. Some of the things in the safety inspection are good ideas, like checking to make sure there aren’t any rust holes so that exhaust doesn’t end up inside the passenger compartment. Some of the rules are just stupid and nit-picky though. The dome light (the little light above your head) has to work. The little marker lights for decoration on the car have to work.

Actually, I was just watching a TV show about a car being restored the other day. What surprised me is after they repaired the body, they covered the entire body in bondo and sanded it down. According to the guy doing the work, this was so that they could get sharper lines out of the car. They didn’t just fill holes with bondo, though. They actually repaired the body properly, then applied bondo and sanded it. This was for a “show car” quality car, so you can’t say it was nothin’ special.

Shows what I know. I always thought Bondo was a perfectly acceptable and standard way of doing body repair. What is it that body repair shops use then when the fix a dent and have to apply putty, and sand it out? That putty isn’t bondo?

Lady! As in Ladybug!

Did the car look basically the same as it would have originally? I can see using it to sculpt something slightly different (I guess). My husband watches all those car shows. Usually they show a guy hammering the bejesus out of something to form a new fender or what have you. I don’t usually see bondo on those shows, but hey…whatever works, right?

The car looked basically the same as it did originally. They weren’t sculpting anything.