Why Do People Use Checks To Buy Groceries?

Or maybe they are like me: Sick and tired of the wacky debit machines that reject you for no good reason, forcing you to wander over to the ATM for cash.
I don’t even bother using my debit card at Piggly Wiggly anymore.

Or maybe it’s because we opened our checking account at a bank that doesn’t automatically issue debit cards, and we opted not to request one?

For me, it’s easier to keep track of checks than debit since I have one of those carbon-copy checkbooks (no register). Grab the pen while the person ahead of you is still there, write in the store, date, and sign the check–it’s as easy as that.
At least I’m not a coupon-shuffler (wait until everything’s rung up, then say “Oh, I think I have a coupon for that!” and rustle through all contents of one’s purse/pocket).

Even though I ain’t a woman, I’ll comment. I think it has to do with the fact that most men don’t carry purses. I find it very inconvenient to try and pay with a check, I don’t have my checkbook with me, no pen, etc. Women, with their handy-dandy purses, can have everything they need for check writing at their fingertips.

I’ll second that. Unless I’m wearing a jacket, which is about two months out of the year in L.A., it’s very inconvenient to carry a checkbook. I only use checks if I need to take advantage of a couple of days’ float, and then I usually have to carry my checkbook in my hand. It almost makes me think we guys need to get over our pursephobia.

My credit union does not offer debit cards. Just because your bank gives them for free, don’t assume it’s the same everywhere. It takes about 30 seconds, tops, to write a check. If you can’t wait that long behind someone writing a check, that’s pretty bad.

What’s wrong with cash? :slight_smile:

Seriously, I never pay for groceries with a check, debit card, or credit card. Only cash.

Why?

My father once told me, “Never pay for a dead horse.” :smiley:

My dad refuses to get a debit card. He says that it is because back in the 1970s, the banks made a huge hoo-ha about how noone should ever ever on-pain-of-pain never carry their chequebook and their cheque guarantee card together. Apparently there were large advertising campaigns and everything. It was convincing.

So he says to me - what is a debit card if not a chequebook and guarantee card carried together? And hey, you know what? He’s got a point.

pan

[hijack]
My husband got himself a black leather fanny-pack and he carries that the way I carry a purse. No longer do I get his glasses/keys/stuff to carry when we go places. But I still carry the checkbook - I’m the family money-manager…
[/hijack]

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I do it for the sole purpose of pissing you off.

You’re welcome!

Fenris

I bet you ran over your debit card with your lawn mower, too. :rolleyes:

I’ll use whatever is in my pockets to buy groceries-- credit, debit, cheque, or exact change. It takes the same amount of time no matter what-- unless the machines reject my debit card.

That, and I’ll use my frequent buyer/airmiles/trace-my-purchases-to-a-fake-address card to give me a discount too!

But I really like credit for everything. 30 days deferred payment? No interest? The card is free? Okay…

Just get your groceries delivered online - you can use your debit card and cheque holders have to go to the store. The guy even carries it into your house for you - winner! :cool:

You don’t have a PIN?

I read somewhere that the largest number of checks are cashed not at the bank, but at
the food stores. So one writes a check for food & then adds some to get some cash back.
I do this sometimes myself. Thats probably why some people write checks for the food store.

You can do that with a debit card too handy. It’s called cashback.

Ahem. Let me repeat. Some banks do not offer debit cards. You know those swell commercials on TV that advertise how great and convenient debit cards are? That’s because they’re a relatively new idea (although admittedly one that is really catching on big). Some places–like my small credit union–have not yet hopped on the bandwagon. (No, it’s not a rinky-dink backwater credit union either.) I personally get more annoyed when I have to wait behind a person who is paying at the grocery store with a card of some sort. The cashier has to tell him/her how to swipe it through, what button to press (it’s self-serve, apparently), and whether to hit “credit” or “debit” and when. People with checking accounts, on the other hand, already know what to do; it really works out about the same timewise, at least in my grocery store.

[Not that I’d get so annoyed at a card-payer to start a thread demanding “Why do people pay for groceries with debit cards?!”]

If someone is in line with others waiting behind them to pay quickly with a Debit card, then this person would be in an area with Debit cards available, no?

What about credit cards, or cash? There are many better methods available than checks. Many people will continue using them forever, though, because that is what they are used to doing. People will often resist change, even for the better.

There are many people for instance that continue to insist on seeing a bank teller to cash a paycheck instead of using the ATM. Even now that they are often charged a dollar or two, this continues. They do this because of resistance to any change.

Yeah, Surreal - God forbid you should post your opinion in a forum called “In My Humble OPINION”:smiley:

I’d like to add one thing to the rant - Does this happen to anyone else? I get in the line that has a big, lit-up sign that clearly says Express Lane - CASH ONLY and some bozo is invariably at the register saying “Duh, can I write a check?”. And as if this weren’t bad enough, the cashier usually says it’s o.k. - and if anyone complains, they get sneered at. If you accept checks in the lane - TAKE DOWN THE FREAKING SIGN!

And I mean no offense to any check-writers out there; this is just my own personal feeling on the matter: I don’t really get the whole mentality of living from one paycheck to the next, and having to “trick” yourself into spending less money by writing checks. I guess if times are tough, maybe you really can’t get ahead, and are constantly playing catch-up with the checking account balance. But if things are that tight, you shouldn’t be buying any luxury items anyway - why would you need this “psychological” restraint of writing a check? And if you live from one paycheck to the next AND buy a lot of stuff you don’t really NEED, then I have no sympathy for you.
Note: if this was not your stated reason for using checks, then I’m not talking about you.

The other thing I’m not getting is why it’s harder to keep track of a debit card. If you can write the check amount in your ledger, can you not also write the debit card amount in your ledger? It just seems “primitive” to me to still be writing checks at the grocery store.

Personally, if I don’t have enough cash, I put it on my credit card. I pay off the balance every month, so there’s no interest. I’m not saying it’s the way to go for everyone, but it works for me. It’s pretty fast with that credit card gizmo, too.

Well, of course they’re available in my area, but not at my particular bank (credit union). I’m not going to switch banks so that I can have a debit card to appease people in line at the grocery store who think my writing a check is somehow slowing them down, when in fact it isn’t.

No one yet has said anything convincing (to me, at any rate) as to why check-writing is inferior. I can write a check in thirty seconds, roughly the time it takes for a card to be swiped, scanned, accepted, and the transaction gone through. It’s not like I’m writing a novel, for Pete’s sake: “5-28-02; Big Y; $20.89; Twenty and 89-----”; signature. That’s all. Of course there are people who are a bit slow in doing this, but that shouldn’t cast a negative light on the rest of the check-writers out there. There are also people who are slow in getting out their cash. Or, as I’ve seen many times, sometimes the debit/credit card doesn’t get read correctly because the magnetic strip is worn out or something. Don’t get me wrong; I’m sure debit cards are nice to have and all, and if my credit union offers them for free I will probably take them up on the offer,but they’re not the amazing time-saver that some people are making them out to be. (I keep thinking of the ads for debit cards: “It works just like a check.” Oh, yeah? Well, then, I’ll just use a check, if it’s all the same.)

And blowero, “Luxury items”? I thought we were talking about groceries. I need food to survive, so I don’t think of milk and bread as luxury items.

I assume blowero, that your post was directed at me (at least in part).

Well, I have money now because I’m taking the semester off and working full-time. But most of the time I’m a “poor college student.” Sometimes (especially at the beginning of the semester, when I have to buy books but haven’t received my loan checks yet) between rent, utilities, and food, I cut things pretty close. Yes, I agree it’s not the smartest thing.

I can’t explain it. I feel I’m more aware of exactly how much I’m spending if I have to write it out than just sign my name, just as I feel more aware of how much I’m spending if I hand over a pile of bills and get change back than if I just write it down.

The OP was about groceries, right? Last I checked, food wasn’t a “luxury item.” Though in the past, I have put off grocery shopping so I could make rent.

I use carbon checks, so I can balance it at my leisure. I find it more convenient than keeping every scrap of paper from debit and ATM transactions. I usually check my balance online to make sure I’ve included all those transactions.

Unlike many of my classmates, I’m trying to avoid getting into credit card debt. Yes, I have some, but I regard them as more of a “last resort” than anything else. I can’t put much on them, because as a college student, I pay sky-high interest rates and can’t keep much of a balance, anyway.

But, we are all different people, and we prefer different things. So I’ll keep writing my checks, and you can keep swiping your card.