Why do so many people flee accident scenes?

Another motivation to just drive away: If you’re an illegal immigrant, you don’t want to talk to anybody in a uniform.

Have to mention. This was a major plot element of the film Thirteen Conversations About One Thing. The answer suggested there, and I think usually true, is that the runaway driver just freaked out. Recommend the film highly, BTW, for it’s treatment of this issue not least, but for other reaons besides.

Hey! I was 16, it was my first car, my mother (not a forgiving woman) was dead-set against me getting it, there were no witnesses (so no one was hurt), and I’ve always been terrified of run-ins with the law! I freaked. Then I got caught anyway.

1984 was a bad year.

Well, I assume you’re a Taxpaying Voter. If so, write to your local pols and complain. It will likely not change anything for you, but your City Council/County Board of Dupes/whatever will set Police funding priorities. In some Juristictions this crime owuld have been investigated.

Of course, your info likley did do more good than you thought- it enables your insurance co to collect.

One more thing - if there is a witness who stopped, get his or her name. I was behind this idiot who drifted across three lanes of freeway traffic twice, hit a woman in the left lane, then drifted back to the right shoulder. I stopped, gave my name. The cop told me that he claimed that she hit him. :wally A few weeks later someone, I think his insurance company, called with that story, and I told the guy what really happened, and that I would be happy to testify as much. Never heard from them again. A witness can be very handy.

And if there’s any way you can be a witness (not dangerous or too inconvenient), it would be helpful. I hit someone else and will never know if I was in the wrong (confusion over the traffic light and the other driver was a confused old woman who pulled over and then left the scene). Since she left nothing came of it but I would have liked to know if I was in the wrong for sure.

ALWAYS! file an accident report! I know, most juridictions only require reports if damage exceeds $1000, or there is personal injury. But at least, if you are sued by the other party, you have a record of what happened. A few years back, my uncle was hit by a man who was driving his car, with his arm in a sling-he (falsely) claimed that the arm had been injured in the accident 9it was a fender bender). The guy was all set to sue-till the accident report came out.
Always file one, and if a policeman was present, get a copy of his report as well.

Oh, I did indeed complain to my city supervisor and he’s formally asked the police chief to investigate the incident and to explain their policy on these kinds of incidents. So hopefully some positive changes will result. And my insurance company independently did their own investigation and paid for the repairs. As to getting witnesses, sometimes that’s harder than you think. I’ve been in accidents where witnesses voluntarily stepped forward and gave me their contact info in case they’re needed. But many times, people just scatter after an accident.