Why do some channels play the same sitcom over and over?

That’s the real issue, not that they strip or even marathon the episodes. It’s that they show THE SAME ONES over and over and over again. I’ve seen some episodes of Big Bang Theory and Frasier so many times I know all the lines by heart. I now leave the set on merely to have some background noise while I’m working.

And sometimes there will be a block of six on a channel…but it will be the same three, repeated twice.

Additionally, it is very rare that I have seen most of the “Thanksgiving” episodes of Friends (the one w/ Chandler in a box, the first one [where we find out that Chandler doesn’t like Thanksgiving], etc.) and back when I worked from home, I went through more than a few full series cycles of the show, thanks to TBS’s 6 episode block every weekday.

Anyone else notice this?

I just saw the box one a few weeks ago during one of those 4 or 6 or 8 episode blocks.

It’s not the same three episodes, it just seems like it’s the same three episodes. :wink:

One block for the East coast, one for the west coast.

Same question about BBC America. Why show the same Star Trek episodes on an endless loop? Somebody’s paying a dollar a minute for their ads, because viewership has to be pretty low, after the 800th showing.

I will give them credit for the occasional bursts of 48 hours straight of Ramsay’s shows and Top Gear. At least they are British shows!

I have to get my British detective shows and comedies on Netflix, DVD rentals and other streams, because BBC America is a complete failure if its purpose is to introduce the US to British television.

I don’t have a DVR, but when I was housesitting for my neighbor then I realized that I could easily record the weekly Psych marathon – which aired in the late evening/early morning – and then watch them when I liked for the rest of the week. If they’d been airing one episode of the show a day then I still could have recorded it if the air time wasn’t good for me, but it seemed a little more convenient to get a bunch of episodes at once. I could then choose how many I wanted to watch in one sitting.

I work for a major cable network, and the answer is we show what people will watch. Eyeballs attract big advertising revenue, which in turn pays for the rights to air syndicated shows. The networks only loosely care about what show airs. If the viewership for a 3-hour block of a show produces the best ratings, it’s what’ll air.