Why do they use such kid unfriendly songs in the ads for kid's movies?

Back in the day, content was pre-censored. Things like the comics code, film code, and limited film ratings sytems kept things clean-ish, and musicians kept their lyrics clean-ish, because not getting radio play because of coarse language would be the kiss of commercial death. There was always “dirty” stuff out there, but it was pretty niche.

For a lot of reasons, it’s become easier now to create the “dirty” content and censor it after the fact.

:eek: :smiley:

I’m pretty sure that’s “Mahna, Mahna”, in the soundtrack of the

But I don’t tell my 5-year-old that when she insists on finding every variation available on Youtube of the Muppet rendition (complete with Mahna Mahna Guy and the Snowths).

TBH, the Muppets completely moved in and conquered that song long ago. The original media context and history are meaningless.

Here is the Shaun the Sheep trailer. Take a look at the comments. Several of them are people asking what the songs are. The trailer just acts as an introduction to the song. I’m talking about what happens later. Some people (not naming names, Mom) think a song used to advertise a kid’s movie is automatically kid safe/SFW because the adult bits are edited out. When they catch themselves humming the tune and go to find the song, they get a surprise.

Nope, it’s not Tequila. It’s Fireball. I’ve already suggested looking for a Kidz Bop type alternative.

Sorry - I wasn’t clear.
To me, the music of Fireball sounds a hell of a lot like Tequila. (I don’t think it’s a sample, but it’s damn close). If the kids in question like the sound and dance around to Fireball, if you play them Tequila (no lyrics), they’ll probably like it and dance around to it, too.

I don’t really see the issue. They went with an instrumental version for a reason. And when they do use lyrics, they tend to only keep the clean ones. Or they change the lyrics–even if only by muting the bad part.

It’s not as if most music listeners pay that much attention to the real meaning of lyrics. Heck, a lot of the time, they don’t pay attention to the lyrics at all. You like a song because you like the melody or the beat.

I don’t see why trailers for movies can’t do the same thing.

The songs on the soundtracks don’t necessarily have the same lyrics as the “real” songs. One of my favorite bands, Carbon Leaf, has rewritten some of their songs for the Curious George movies - the new versions have the same tune, but kid-friendlier lyrics.

Not kid-unfriendly, exactly, but I really thought I was hearing something when I saw this trailer last fall.

Okay. Some people are still missing the whole point of the post. It’s NOT about the trailers. It’s about people who like the pieces of a song they hear in an ad for a kid’s movie then find out that the REAL song is NSFW/not something they would buy or play for their kids. Then they wonder why that song was used to advertise a movie for children. Sort of like people who have only heard the radio edit of Ceelo Green’s Fuck You. They think “Forget You” is just a cute little pop song about a guy who wants to get over a broken heart. Hey Parent, by this song for me! They heard a version of it in The Muppets so it must be clean, right? Very wrong.

What do you mean not kid-unfriendly exactly? I doubt Schulz would approve. Anyway, if you check the comments you’ll see the same question my sister is asking.

ghfdfhfdndxhcg

That and several others are in the group of replies to:

Devo Fauzan Rahman9

I meant that the one I linked to was not explicitly kid-unfriendly, but using The Who in the trailer for The Peanuts Movie struck me as disconcerting.

Maybe it shouldn’t. Times change. The rock and roll that gave parents the vapors back in the '50s were nostalgic oldies by the '70s. I suppose that the hard and psychedelic rock of the late-'60s/early-'70s is what gives today’s parents warm fuzzy feelings about their childhood.

isnt that the song with the line “girls of 15, sexually knowing”?

not exactly a peanuts kinda song.

No.

Baba O’Riley and 5:15 aren’t even on the same album… (The former is the first song on Who’s Next, the latter starts Side 3 of Quadrophenia.)

Very often the trailers are created long before the movie is finished and it is known exactly what music or even scenes will be in the final cut.

And very often a trailer uses music not from the movie it’s advertising but from another popular movie, to get your attention and goodwill off the bat.

How would a Kidz Bop-type version of Tequila even go?

*Ba-dat da-da dat-da dat-da
Ba-dat da-da dat-dat-da
Ba-dat da-da dat-da dat-da
Ba-dat da-da dat-dat-da

Badadada daaaaah-da
Badadada daaaaah-da
Badadada daaaaah-da
Bada bada dat dat da.
“Milk.”*