Why do they yell, "Police! Stop!"

My phone ate the TLDR version, but my husband once had a rookie colleague yell “Stop!.. or I’ll yell stop again!” while they were chasing a suspect. Fortunately, the tracking dog arrived about then, because everyone else was laughing too hard to run after the guy anymore!

I may have heard the joke repeated and mis-remembered it as a cartoon.

I defer to you.

Ever since I was a kid, when the guy ran in Midnight Express, I’m always bewildered. Where did he think he was going to go? He’s in Turkey. They have his documents. He speaks no language in common usage. Its not his nation, there is nowhere he can go, no one who would help him. Why run? Just … why…where…oh heck, I guess that’s what you do when you’re in trouble.

Kryptonite inlays on the grips? Maybe they should have tried pistol whipping him.

Didn’t his dad have an escape from the country set up for him? I seem to recall someone did. All he had to do was get out that prison and stay under the radar on the way to where ever it was he was supposed to go to get out of the country as well.

I was once in quite an intensive fight when I heard the words “Stop Police” said in a quiet speaking voice.

I stopped actively fighting, restricting myself to preventing my opponent throwing punches, but the other bloke hadn’t heard the copper and carried on.

He made the mistake of shouting at them that his dad was a senior police officer in Scotland and that they would all be in deep cacky after he’d reported them.

He was duly arrested and cuffed, and accidently had his head banged against the car when they seated him.

I was allowed to walk off.

Though the following day my presence was required at the police station.

But to this day I am puzzled why the arresting copper declared his presence in a very quiet voice, was he perhaps hoping to get into a bit of a punch up himself ?

I really don’t know.

Can you post a link to any Superman show where this happened?

In other words, cite?

I take it you’ve never watched Seinfeld?

I can’t recall if it was in his show or from some of his stand up.

Nope.

So I take it was a joke?
:smack:

From 1:02 on.

I seriously had no idea! Just knew the Seinfeld joke.

Facepalm myself!

As others have said, it’s a legal thing. The police have to identify themselves as a lawful authority and give a lawful order. Telling “Police! Stop!” does this quite economically. Other popular forms are “Police! Freeze!” “Police! Hands where I can see them!” “Police! Down on the ground!” and “Police! Drop the gun!”

If the police officer has established his authority and you fail to follow his order, he now has legal justification for using a variety of means to compel your obedience. And assuming you’re still alive when he’s done taking you into custody, you can now be charged with an additional bonus crime.

“Constable, did or did you not identify yourself as a police officer?”

“Yes, yes I did, your honour”

Well he’s not committing perjury… :wink:

And on a similar story, a friend of mine told me that once he was involved in a fight outside a pub, he was in a general melee and fighting all round him when he felt someone grab his shoulder, he turned and punched the person who had grabbed him hard in the face…it was a female police officer.

He says he very nearly got a hiding from several large and extremely angry male officers until the policewoman indicated that it had been a misunderstanding.

So that’s part of the reason why you should clearly identify yourself as a police officer if intervening in a situation!

Well done!

Whenever one of the agents on NCIS confronts a suspect with “NCIS!” I always say “What’s NCIS?” I doubt most people would have ever heard of the NCIS agency outside of the show.

No this is some kind of bust.

I figure it also lets bystanders have the opportunity of getting out of the way, or tackling the running guy.

FWIW, the Robin Williams joke was about bobbies in the UK not carrying guns.

As BMalion implied with the “London police officer” part. I didn’t think it necessary to emphasize that point, but you’re right – and the joke doesn’t work unless you know that.

Yeah, a surprising number of Merkins don’t know that.