Why do we (the U.S.) have 5 seperate military branches?

Just because a plane can operate from a carrier doesn’t mean it always does.

But in any event, don’t put too much weight on anything I say here: A nerd I am, but not a military nerd.
And Elendil’s Heir, I know it’s not what you meant, but I parsed that sentence as meaning that the Thunderbolts were kicking and screaming. Which is probably pretty accurate, too.

Speaking as an exec for a few Defense contractors over the last couple decades, this is exactly right. It’s all about the money. For example, do we really need the Navy’s BAMS, the Air Force Global Hawk, the IC’s predator, etc, for what is essentially the same mission?

JSF is supposed to (actually, undoubtedly will) create those efficiencies, although probably not as many as they thought. The real bang for the buck will be with FMS - they’ve talked a bunch of allies into buying into the concept and kicking into the kitty, greatly amortizing the R&D. Sort of like GM and Toyota selling the same car, called a Geo and Corolla respectively - virtually the same frame, engine, etc.

But each service wants their own money. Does the Air Force really need a special forces group (for downed-pilot rescue supposedly, but let’s face it, there is almost always a MEF in the neighborhood).

It’s 100x worse in the IC. Do we need ONI, DIA, INSCOM, etc plus an overarching DNI bureaucracy? Do we really need an NRO *and *NGA? In my position, I see a lot of thieir respective products on A Space and JWICS, they have a lot of duplication.

For good reason the Coast Guard is not a military branch. It falls under the Department of Homeland Security not the Defense Department. For one thing the CG has a law enforcement mission which the Navy can not do by law.

It’s so nice to be right on two levels!

That and the Air Force wanted to get rid of them really badly; before Desert Storm they wanted them replaced with shiny supersonic A-16s, a modified F-16. Ah, the good old days:

DTAMAOAUJFWU?*
*Do those acronyms mean anything or are you just fucking with us?

I know some of these, because my nephew works at one of them.

IC = Intelligence Community
ONI = Office of Naval Intelligence
DIA = Defense Intelligence Agency
INSCOM = Intelligence and Security Command (Army)
DNI = Defense National Intelligence

Gaggles. I can’t imagine combining any two forces of the military. Each branch has their own code, their own qualifications, their own ranking system, and their own areas of expertise (and I’m not just talking planes and boats).

So you’d to join the Army & Navy? Yeah, you’d have some qualified would-be Navy recruits jump ship. :confused:

Army - soldiers. Navy - sailors. Air Force - airmen. You don’t just merge the Air Force with (enter branch here) because M.Sgt XYZ over at Lackland is in intelligence and not flying. Just because the USAF utilizes the Navy for its satellite communications operations doesn’t mean it’s inefficient.

imho, I’d prefer to have different branches of the military in wartime.

Reorganization of military duties (and intelligence operations) happens all the time. You can improve the system without wiping it out. :confused:

disclaimer: my s.o. is stationed here and he’s perfectly fine with the CO Army National Guard on his base. He just isn’t looking to don that uniform.

:wink: Take your intelligence with you and see how the Army whines.

edit: ARMY & NAVY: Merger Can Wait (1946) :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks.

:smiley:

You spend 5 seconds around these guys and you’ll be talking that way too…

Just one correction: ODNI is Office of Department of National Intelligence - it’s not a DOD office.

And as you’ve no doubt figured out by now, JSF is Joint Strike Fighter. NGA is National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (the old NIMA… er, sorry, the old National Imagery and Mapping Agency), and NRO is National Reconnaissance Office, which is kind of a joint effort between the Air Force and CIA, which of course stands for Corrupt Imperialist Aggressors.

JWICS and A Space are intel tools, what’s in them is uber classified.