Why do women scream?

I don’t scream, I holler.

My wife screams at everything! It’s going to be the death of me! If say one of the kids fall down, or she sees a bee, or the cat has mouse or the traffic light turns amber as we approach it or something terrible happened to somebody on Judge Judy, etc… It’s amazing the things she can scream for. So I drop everything and come running, expecting the worst.
One day I’m going to have a heart attack at the wheel or while I’m running up the stairs.
I have begged for her to try and resist the urge to scream but she can’t. I even had her read “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” to the kids, to no avail.

I’m a woman who doesn’t scream - well, like, as far as I know. I’ve never come across a dead body…

But one time, when I was about 25, I was drifting off to sleep, and had a sort of a half-awake dream about a ghost. Right when the ghost was about to lunge for me, my dog jumped up on the bed. I screamed - out loud, not just in my dream - and woke up the whole house.

Seems to me like it was an innate response that I had no control over. But, that’s just a data point.

As a female, I feel exactly the same way. I’ve never screamed in fright at anything and doing so just seems completely alien to me.

I’m more of a bellow personally.

I think a lot of guys are like me and simply can’t scream. I can’t hit a note near what would be considered a scream, with anything near the volume what would be considered a scream. I can do a falsetto fake scream, but it really has no volume to carry. And if I push enough air through to get high volume, there is only a coherent sound at ‘bellow’ and below frequencies.

And because screaming is such a girly thing to do.

Distance from me is a factor in whether I scream or how loudly. If I see a mouse across the room no scream, if one’s suddenly at my feet I’m probably gonna scream a little.

The only time I ever scream is on a roller coaster. Usually, my reaction to something startling or scary is a very quick, brief utterance, like “aaah! or oooh/oh!” or a gasp. I don’t make sound long enough for it to turn into a scream, except on a roller coaster the entire way down that first hill. It seems like if I don’t scream, I can’t breathe or something. It’s hard to describe.

Pseudocode said:

1. Bones is an anthropologist. Most of the time she’s not discovering the body, but coming out to a scene where a body has been found. Either way, she is specifically mentally prepared and not surprised.

2. Bones is a deliberate violation of that stereotype. SOP does not apply because it is intentionally violated. That does not invalidate that an SOP exists that is followed in most cases.