Why does Deborah Kerr rhyme with "car"?

Certainly not family tradition, in the case of “Clerk”. The family name “Clerk” is pronounced clark because the common noun “clerk”, one employed to do clerical work (from which the family presumably derives) is pronounced that way.

“Cleric”, on the other hand, is pronounced clerrick.

I wonder if Deborah Kerr cared to ever park a car in Boston?

It’s puzzling me, too.

What does pronouncing it to rhyme with “fur” have to do with "Karr
being preferred?

Wouldn’t he be more likely to be known as Anita’s husband if he changed his name to Kerr?

The cur=dog connotation perhaps.

Rather than keep his original surname (which I don’t even remember) he changed it to Kerr so as not to be referred to as Mr. Anita Kerr. Or at least that was the rumor which I have been unable to find an online version to refute.

Former NBA player Steve Kerr pronounces his last name as “cur.”

I remember reading once that the two names Berkeley and Barclay are really the same name spelled differently. In some places their pronunciations have drifted apart.

In the song “A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square,” “Berkeley” is sung as “Barclay.” In other words, sounds like “Bark-ly.”

As in the Kinks song “Berkeley Mews.”

It’s universally pronounced that way in the UK and, indeed, everywhere outside North America, SFAIK. George Berkeley, after who the Californian educational institution and associated town are named, was Irish; he would have pronounced it that way.

Her husband’s name was Alex Grob. I’ll admit I also don’t understand why he would change his last name to Kerr if he was trying to maintain an identity outside of his marriage.

So how do Britons pronounce error? Air-er or ur-er?

And in my Scottish accent, “Kerr”, “care” and “car” are all different.

No single answer to that. To me, it’s something like “err-ur”, since the second vowel is unstressed.

Rhymes with, and is stressed like, “terror”.

I’ve never heard it pronounced like either of those. :confused: I have always heard it said like the “er” in berry or perilous.

They are all different in my (American) accent as well.

Same here.

Maybe we pronounce these words differently. I pronounce the er in berry and perilous like air (bair-ee and pair-ih-lus).

The two vowel sounds are very similar in BrE; it’s really just the length that differs.

In BrE, berry and perilous are pronounced with a very short sound; the same sound that you get in, say, dress.

Air has the same sound, just drawn out a bit longer. Like in square.

Missed the edit window. In my Hiberno-English, error has the same vowel-sound as berry, perilous, dress, whereas err has a sound that comes somwhere between the sound in burn and the sound in air.

There is a Kerr Lake that borders NC and Va, pronounced car.

Kerr is the name of a Scottish clan. From Wikipedia:

Am I reading this correctly? There’s a family that spells its name Enroughty and pronounces it “Darby”?