Why does Hungarian = Gypsy?

That sounds typical of policies from all over Europe at various times - essentially trying to shunt travellers into a ‘normal’ lifestyle. Many don’t see the offer of a house as ‘better’ housing, because it removes one integral element!

I think he’s implying that fans don’t heckle members of their own team…

This is making me hungry.

Let me explain…
In Germany, they had a specialty at the local swimming pool Imbiss (a general term for a little fast food stand or restaurant) called Pommes Frites mit Zigeuner Sosse (French Fries with Gypsy sauce). Basically the Gypsy sauce was a sweetish tomato based sauce with chunks of peppers and onions and heavy on the paprika. Mmmmm…it was good.

She. But yes, that’s what I meant.

Kal, thanks for the information in response to my question. Very interesting subject.

It was the use of the word “section” that confused me. The mental picture created was of the travelling band of Away supporters shouting abuse from their enclosure. I didn’t parse it as being synonymous with “denigrated by opposition fans”.

Are there many Eastern Europeans plying their trade in Ireland?

Which makes me think…maybe Roma had been so central to Hungary for so many hundreds of years and had adopted the Hungarian language and Hungarian customs and Hungarian culinary traditions that they just became synonymous with Hungarian and vice versa, as these travelers were often the only representatives of Hungary that some other nationality might commonly come into contact with.

No, but Ireland has faced a number of Eastern European teams in World Cup or European Championship qualifying.

It has also happened in Scotland to Celtic’s Eastern European players (and, I imagine, to those playing for other SPL teams).

Hungarian by no means equals Gypsy. Most Hungarians would be insulted to be called Gypsies.

That’s just a coincidence. The reason for the association of Hungarians with Gypsies is pretty much what devilsknew said:

The other association (Romales = Romanians) is also a coincidence:

The names “Romanian” and “Romania” come from ancient Rome. “Romales” are called so because the Narikuravas - Gypsies of south India - worship Rama and Sita.
The confusion is probably enhanced by the fact that The country with the largest populations of Roma is Romania.
One of the reasons for the spelling of Rroma with the double “r” is to avoid this confusion.

HanoNymus is right that the similarity in Roma and Romanian is nothing but a coincidence. However, I’m skeptical of the explanation that they worship “Rama and Sita.” That looks more like someone’s stab at a guess than any actual documented etymology.

The etymology for Romany in the American Heritage Dictionary is that it comes from rom, the Romany word for ‘man, husband, Gypsy man’ - from Sanskrit doma ‘man of a low caste’, from domba, a caste of hereditary drummers, from Dravidian, akin to the Telugu word tamatama ‘drum’. (The Sanskrit and Telugu words are supposed to have dots under the letters d and t, but I can’t type dotted letters online.)

Coincidentally, the Hungarian self-designation Magyar comes from a Proto-Finno-Ugric word also meaning ‘man’. The same root that produced Finnish mies ‘man’ and the self-designation of the Mansi people in Siberia.

Hancock on the subject of the etymology of Rom(a):

From here.

I should also add, for those interested in such things, that the following is a very good piece on the latest thoughts about the origins of the Romani people:

ON ROMANI ORIGINS AND IDENTITY: QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION

That, and the previous link, are from The Romani Archives and Documentation Center - a website that all the cool kids visit regularly, don’t ya know.

Yes, I know. I didn’t say otherwise.

And that has naught to do with my impression that Romania (not Hungary) is the European “homeland” for the Roma. As you note yourself, Romania has the largest poulation of Roma in Europe.

My apologies. That last post shouldn’t have been so defensive/snippy.

On TV, when I was a kid, there were lots of sitcoms with occasional scenes in Hungarian restaurants and these invariably had a Gypsy violinist sawing out a chardasch. I know the cliche the OP refers to, but don’t think it retains a lot of currency these days.

Kal, the web page you linked to by Hancock got the special characters for Sanskrit and Hindi hopelessly garbled. It takes a lot of guesswork to even guess what words he’s citing. The D in Dom was omitted so that the word looks like “om.” <sigh> Unicode still has a long way to go, it seems.

Hancock quotes a way outdated 1841 statement the caste-name Domba isn’t found in any Sanskrit dictionary. I looked up both Doma and Domba in the Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary, on page 431, before posting the above etymology. Monier-Williams published his dictionary in 1899.